News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on February 18, 2012, 03:18:33 AM
Actually, that raises a question--how do I get my stuff to Asia?  Cats, okay, that's probably not happening (although I will look into it), but what about my computer?  Do they put it in the airplane?

Is your computer a desktop?  If so, you have to keep in mind that S. Korea uses different electricity sockets from the US.  Also different voltage. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on February 18, 2012, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 18, 2012, 03:18:33 AM
Actually, that raises a question--how do I get my stuff to Asia?  Cats, okay, that's probably not happening (although I will look into it), but what about my computer?  Do they put it in the airplane?

Is your computer a desktop?  If so, you have to keep in mind that S. Korea uses different electricity sockets from the US.  Also different voltage.
They sell converter boxes
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Ide, if you computer is a desktop, you are probably not moving it by plane.  It is too heavy; you'll exceed the weight limit and pay heavy fines for it.  I know because I tried doing it when I moved to Vancouver.  Didn't work for me.  Had to ship it by boat.  The ship took a month to cross the Pacific, then we had to wait a few more weeks for Canadian customs to clear the goods. 

It took us 3 months to pack all our stuff and we used up half a standard sized cargo container  :lol:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on February 18, 2012, 11:49:26 AM
Ide, if you computer is a desktop, you are probably not moving it by plane.  It is too heavy; you'll exceed the weight limit and pay heavy fines for it.  I know because I tried doing it when I moved to Vancouver.  Didn't work for me.  Had to ship it by boat.  The ship took a month to cross the Pacific, then we had to wait a few more weeks for Canadian customs to clear the goods. 

It took us 3 months to pack all our stuff and we used up half a standard sized cargo container  :lol:

The electronic components weigh ten pounds at most (and a third of that is the CPU's heatsink).  The only heavy part is the case, although even the case is only about thirty pounds.  There is no way this could not be shipped by airplane for more than $50 or $100; if I disassembled it and bought a new case in Korea, it would all fit in a grocery bag.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

why not just get rid of the cats, if it becomes a hassle to find them a temporary home? i mean, i love animals more than the next person, but pragmatism should overcome emotion

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2012, 03:03:19 PM
why not just get rid of the cats, if it becomes a hassle to find them a temporary home? i mean, i love animals more than the next person, but pragmatism should overcome emotion

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

I shipped an 18 kilo box to the states for like $100-150. A ten pound computer should be $50 max
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

How'd Tim get his hands on 18 kilos?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Josquius

I brought the expensive parts of my computer over in my hand luggage and just got a new dvd drive, case, psu, etc... here.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Ide, would it be better to use your law degree now that you have it? Could you be a lawyer in the air force? Or, perhaps less excitingly, volunteer work while you look for a job?

Has South Carolina hooked you up with interviews (and interview prep)?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Great news, apparently their prospect flaked out. You're in! :o

1 Karma Chameleon point