News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I just think it's weird that someone would assume that, just because someone is 'smart', that automatically means they are also good at conveying their knowledge to others.  Then again, there are plenty of professors at American universities who can't teach worth a damn either.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 08:03:38 PM
I just think it's weird that someone would assume that, just because someone is 'smart', that automatically means they are also good at conveying their knowledge to others.  Then again, there are plenty of professors at American universities who can't teach worth a damn either.

It seems that the weird East Asian school systems don't see teachers as conveyors of knowledge, but rather like drill sergeants for rote learning.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2012, 05:59:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 03:45:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2012, 04:10:53 AM
Ok, word back from the supervisor. If their recruiter can find someone for mid march they'll take them. But if the other applicants also have to wait for the FBI check they'll take you instead. They're salivating over that degree.

:)

I'll get it done as time and (more crucially) funds permit.  I go back to work shortly, and need to go by the bank ("what is, how you say, direct deposit?") but I'm off tomorrow, so there should be no issue getting the passport paperwork in then (gotta apply in person, and don't know how long it'll take), and I'll look and see what I need for the FBI check/apostillement in the next few minutes.
do the FBI check first since it'll take the longest.

EDIT: You got a credit card? They'll pay you back for the ticket within two to four weeks of coming over but you'll have to pay for it at the time you come over and it ain't cheap.

Ruh-roh.

I do, technically speaking, have credit cards.

However, I might remind you that I was unemployed for seven months. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2012, 10:59:45 AM
In this part of the world, only the best of the best can get into a law school.  A law degree means you are within the top 2-3% of the smartest and most motivated of your age.

Well, according to the LSAC, the administrators of the LSAT, I am smarter than 90% of the people in my cohort.  Unfortunately, LSAT takers self-select for a very specific, but very severe, form of mental retardation.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

That and having a masters (or, especially a bachellors) doesn't even mean you're smart. It just means you could be bothered to do so.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

My tests are from the textbook.  :)

And you can use the textbook too. I don't care.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

"And how did we win World War II, class?"
"Atomic and conventional weapons delivered by air, Mr. Ideologue."
"Mr. Ideologue, this is supposed to be an English class."
"And what language built the two most formidable aerial armadas of all time?"
"...English."
"That's right.  You get a B+."
"OH MR. IDEOLOGUE NO"
"As are for Airpower Advocates, son.  I hope you like putting sawdust down on your smarter peers' kids' puke twenty years from now, suddenly realizing that you have never and will never breed yourself."
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 09:48:59 PM
"And how did we win World War II, class?"
"Atomic and conventional weapons delivered by air, Mr. Ideologue."
"Mr. Ideologue, this is supposed to be an English class."
"And what language built the two most formidable aerial armadas of all time?"
"...English."
"That's right.  You get a B+."
"OH MR. IDEOLOGUE NO"
"As are for Airpower Advocates, son.  I hope you like cleaning up your smarter peers' kids' puke twenty years from now."

2 fighter groups took off from GERFERSTADT at 9am. with an airspeed of 400 mph, how long would it take them to intercept a bomber formation 500 miles away?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Wasn't airpower ineffective against Germany and worse than useless against Vietnam?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 09:33:31 PM
Ok, word back from the supervisor. If their recruiter can find someone for mid march they'll take them. But if the other applicants also have to wait for the FBI check they'll take you instead. They're salivating over that degree.

I'll get it done as time and (more crucially) funds permit.  I go back to work shortly, and need to go by the bank ("what is, how you say, direct deposit?") but I'm off tomorrow, so there should be no issue getting the passport paperwork in then (gotta apply in person, and don't know how long it'll take), and I'll look and see what I need for the FBI check/apostillement in the next few minutes.

EDIT: You got a credit card? They'll pay you back for the ticket within two to four weeks of coming over but you'll have to pay for it at the time you come over and it ain't cheap.

Ruh-roh.

What's your credit limit? Like I said, they'll pay you back for the ticket and it's easy to save a grand a month here, so if you can stand the short term pain it's well worth it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Are they Wilde Sau or Zahme Saue?

If Wilde, then "once the holocaustal light from Hamburg silhouettes them against the ground."  If Zahme, then "never, because Himmelbelt has been disrupted by Window and the nachtjaeger are chasing little strips of aluminium."
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 09:54:58 PM
Wasn't airpower ineffective against Germany and worse than useless against Vietnam?

No, especially after the introduction of the Mustang.  Between destroying the Luftwaffe fighter force by forcing them to commit to battle and thus ensuring air superiority over Normandy and subsequently, forcing the deployment of thousands of 88s and other resources better spent in Russia, crippling the Romanian oil industry, seriously disrupting transportation, and--lest we forget--killing like a million German workers, it was pretty useful.  And obviously it won Japan almost singlehandedly (the Navy did help secure Tinian).

We never seriously pursued a proper bombing campaign against Vietnam.  Arthur Harris would have been appalled by the waste that was Arc Light (despite some interesting outcomes at Khe Sanh and An Loc) and the nancying about that was Rolling Thunder, and would have only begrudgingly accepted the goals of the Linebacker operations.  He'd have painted Hanoi and Haiphong with magnesium on the first day.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 09:33:31 PM

Ruh-roh.

What's your credit limit? Like I said, they'll pay you back for the ticket and it's easy to save a grand a month here, so if you can stand the short term pain it's well worth it.

I'm not sure it's possible, dude.  I'll look into it.
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

In my experience, the purpose of the foreign English teachers isn't to teach the kids grammar.  There are other local English teachers who will do that.  Their purposes are to

(1) serve as role models on how to speak real English without an accent (something the local teachers simply can't do)
(2) make the kids converse in English (they have no choice but to speak English to Tim and Ide) and
(3) make sure that the lessons aren't just about grammar (a lot of local English teachers suck at speaking English and they are reluctant to speak English themselves for fear of making a fool of themselves in front of their students)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 10:11:47 PM
No, especially after the introduction of the Mustang.  Between destroying the Luftwaffe fighter force by forcing them to commit to battle and thus ensuring air superiority over Normandy and subsequently, forcing the deployment of thousands of 88s and other resources better spent in Russia, crippling the Romanian oil industry, seriously disrupting transportation, and--lest we forget--killing like a million German workers, it was pretty useful.  And obviously it won Japan almost singlehandedly (the Navy did help secure Tinian).
Don't be ridiculous.  Airpower didn't defeat Japan, the USN defeated Japan.  Bombing didn't cripple German industry.  Having their industrial centers captured by armies crippled German industry.  I will give close air support some credit, but the heavy bombers could have significantly shortened the war by never being built.
QuoteWe never seriously pursued a proper bombing campaign against Vietnam.  Arthur Harris would have been appalled by the waste that was Arc Light (despite some interesting outcomes at Khe Sanh and An Loc) and the nancying about that was Rolling Thunder, and would have only begrudgingly accepted the goals of the Linebacker operations.  He'd have painted Hanoi and Haiphong with magnesium on the first day.
How would urban bombing have damaged the Vietnamese war effort?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.