The Effete - Down to Earth (Real) Axis/Scale ?

Started by mongers, January 28, 2012, 07:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Which languishites are the most 'down to earth' and which are the most effete ?

And where would you put yourself on this axis/continuum* ?

My view is the 'Down to Earth' title goes to either 11B4V or CCR.  :cool:

I'm not sure who wins the effete crown, and probably wouldn't be nice to say so, though I think Shelf in his proto-castle is well off in the running for that race.

Me, I'm wherever the somewhat shot away position is on the scale.

* this presupposes you accept my working definitions of the terms, but hell I'll use these words and thus allow our 'word-smiths' to debate meanings and semantics.  :D   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

11B4V is the guy who says he's pursued every woman he's ever been interested in and never been shot down. So apparently he's still up in the clouds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm the most down to Earth.  Like, under the Earth.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Whereas garbo is, of course, rather effete.

Contrast to Martinus, he's just into feet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 28, 2012, 10:47:55 PM

Am I that ineffectual?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Minsky for effete.  If there's a high-handed polysyllabic way to say something that could be said in three words, he'll find it.  CCR for down to earth posting.
Experience bij!

Lettow77

Cal strikes me as a quite down-to-earth poster.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 28, 2012, 11:02:17 PM
Cal strikes me as a quite down-to-earth poster.

In general, yeah- CCR's ability to still give off the "dim, smoky poker table" vibe even while debating tactics of the Roman Legions gives him the edge, though. ;)
Experience bij!

Barrister

I think of myself as being pretty down to earth, despite my LLB... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've never heard "effete" used this way.  I'm not sure exactly what we are measuring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I prefer to think of myself as "Lawful Bacon" with a side of good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2012, 10:49:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 28, 2012, 10:47:55 PM

Am I that ineffectual?

I just wanted to make a pun. :P

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.  I do manual labor, no one else here does (unless "shooting people" is manual labor, then I guess Infantry can have it; fine with me, it's a crown of fucking thorns).
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

You're a waitress.  That sounds pretty effete.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2012, 11:33:11 PM
You're a waitress.  That sounds pretty effete.

I haven't been a waiter in three years.  I work kitchen.  I'd rather be a waiter again.  In any event, if effeteness means not burning or cutting myself on a daily basis, then I'm all for it.  I am annoyed that
I got through three years of restaurant work with pretty intact hands (the only callus I have is from drawing), and am undoing that four or eight hours at a time.
Kinemalogue