The Effete - Down to Earth (Real) Axis/Scale ?

Started by mongers, January 28, 2012, 07:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Before coming to Japan I was working as an actual labourer. None of this namby pamby restaurant business. :p
██████
██████
██████

Octavian

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2012, 12:55:56 AM
Before coming to Japan I was working as an actual labourer. None of this namby pamby restaurant business. :p

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on January 28, 2012, 11:21:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2012, 10:49:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 28, 2012, 10:47:55 PM
Whereas garbo is, of course, rather effete.

Contrast to Martinus, he's just into feet.

Am I that ineffectual?

I just wanted to make a pun. :P

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.  I do manual labor, no one else here does (unless "shooting people" is manual labor, then I guess Infantry can have it; fine with me, it's a crown of fucking thorns).

Uh, you're not the only person here who does manual laborer.

BTW, in case I haven't mentioned it, North Carolina sucks.  I wish I was back in WV.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on January 28, 2012, 11:21:59 PM
I just wanted to make a pun. :P

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.  I do manual labor, no one else here does (unless "shooting people" is manual labor, then I guess Infantry can have it; fine with me, it's a crown of fucking thorns).

Come to where I work, sort and stock 35 shipping boxes of 250 CDs each, then we'll talk.
Experience bij!

sbr

DontSayBanana

Quote from: sbr on January 29, 2012, 06:08:53 PM
Does an electrician do manual labor?

Not according to Ide.  Climbing, ripping and patching walls to deal with run cable... that stuff's cushy.
Experience bij!

sbr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 29, 2012, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 29, 2012, 06:08:53 PM
Does an electrician do manual labor?

Not according to Ide.  Climbing, ripping and patching walls to deal with run cable... that stuff's cushy.

Yeah and dicing tomatoes is grueling.  :D

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
How they rush in for this dubious honor! :o

If I have to live it I want credit for it.

dps

I'm not ashamed of being poor, but then I'm poor because I lack ambition and am not really all that interested in material gain.  OTOH, Ide's poor because he has no work ethic, so I'm not going to let him grab the low ground.

garbon

You do seem to have your knives out for Ide, this evening.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2012, 11:17:53 PM
I've never heard "effete" used this way.  I'm not sure exactly what we are measuring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I prefer to think of myself as "Lawful Bacon" with a side of good.

What's the meaning of bacon and necktie?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

If you can equate having great common sense with being down to earth, then Richard Hakluyt is an excellent example of having that common sense which is part of the British genius.   :bowler: