The Effete - Down to Earth (Real) Axis/Scale ?

Started by mongers, January 28, 2012, 07:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2012, 10:18:15 PM
And deeps, if you were just playing around, that's fine.  But "Ideologue is a bad decisionmaker" and "Ideologue is lazy" are not the same thing.

Not exactly playing around, but yeah, I don't know anything about your work ethic.  It's actually probably pretty good.

Don't know if you remember this or not, but a long time ago, back even before you hooked up with Korea I think, I posted something to the effect that you reminded me of a younger version of myself.  Your politics are almost the opposite of mine, and your taste in women isn't anything like mine, but in a lot of ways you still do remind me of me.  I always did well in an academic setting (better than you, from some things that you posted, but it's not like you can't handle coursework--you obviously can) and on the job, I've always worked hard, but I've never really gotten ahead because I've never figured out what I want to do with my life.  You seem to be headed down the same road.  Figure out what the heck you want and go do it while you can.  You don't want to be 49 and thinking about going back to school to get a teaching certificate.

To a certain extent, my situation doesn't bother me all that much, because (and I've posted this before, too) as long as I can afford a place to stay that has enough room for me to set up a wargame, can pay the bills, put food on the table, and have a good internet connection, there's not much else I want that money can buy.  I think you probably want more out of life, though.  Well, you need to figure out what it is you want, and plan a career path that'll get if for you.  If you just drift, you will end up like me, or worse, like my stepbrother.  And if you keep drifting, I'll keep giving you a hard time about it, and maybe that'll motivate you a little. 

Of course, even if it doesn't motivate you any (and really, why should it--ultimately, why should you care what any of us here say about you), I'll continue to give you a hard time just for shit and giggles.   ;)

Ideologue

I only ever wanted to help people, make enough money to keep me in Reese's cups, and have a skinny mate with a short haircut.  That's not exactly great expectations, is it? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2012, 11:21:14 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 29, 2012, 11:07:15 PM
You people run from grumbler.

Wouldnt any sane person do the same?

:D  I wouldn't run to Neil, even if he didn't live in Alberta.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on January 29, 2012, 11:53:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2012, 11:21:14 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 29, 2012, 11:07:15 PM
You people run from grumbler.

Wouldnt any sane person do the same?

:D  I wouldn't run to Neil, even if he didn't live in Alberta.

Yeah, that part is obvious which is why a struck it out.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2012, 10:18:15 PM
And deeps, if you were just playing around, that's fine.  But "Ideologue is a bad decisionmaker" and "Ideologue is lazy" are not the same thing.

Not ripping at you personally, but from my experience with several "bad decisionmakers" I know in person, some form of "laziness" played a role in their "bad decisionmaking". Especially if you regard their failure to respond properly to the deferred reward stimuli as a form of laziness.

I am not saying that in each case it was the case of a flaw of character - sometimes that "laziness" was a product of their upbringing or environment.

However, each of them had a period in life when he (or she) played and partied while others worked. Later on they made "bad decisions" when they tried to catch up to those who worked by some shortcut and predictably failed.

Martinus

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2012, 03:53:22 AM
I am not saying that in each case it was the case of a flaw of character - sometimes that "laziness" was a product of their upbringing or environment.

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2012, 04:01:01 AM

What now?

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2012, 04:01:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2012, 04:01:01 AM

What now?

Upbringing and environment don't build character?

Martinus

What I meant is that sometimes people coming from deprived backgrounds "give up" on working hard because they think (rightly or wrongly) that they will not manage to reach the same level of success as people from non-deprived backgrounds, so they adopt a "lazy" attitude - in such cases, imo, such behaviour is more excusable than a similar attitude of people coming from non-deprived or privileged backgrounds, where it is purely a flaw of character.

The Brain

So when I don't check my blood sugar level it's bad but when a guy who has diabetes doesn't check his it's awesome? Roger that.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2012, 03:58:26 AM
Btw, how do you define "effete" mongers?
Effete mongers comes out after he's had one zima too many.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: Octavian on January 29, 2012, 04:50:57 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2012, 12:55:56 AM
Before coming to Japan I was working as an actual labourer. None of this namby pamby restaurant business. :p

Nyet.
A literal labourer. On building sites.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain