George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:13:12 PM
The only thing new was putting them in space. Which is not nothing, but not a lot either. Lightsabers and starships had a wee bit more to do with the appeal than any archetype combinations.

Not really.  Tons of movies have great special effects.  Besides those effects are pretty dated now but the movies are still good films.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:26:36 PM
The only thing new was putting them in space. Which is not nothing, but not a lot either. Lightsabers and starships had a wee bit more to do with the appeal than any archetype combinations.

Not really.  Tons of movies have great special effects.  Besides those effects are pretty dated now but the movies are still good films.

How many 70s space/fantasy movies had special effects that were as good as Star Wars (non-rhetorical)?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:26:36 PM

What The Brain said.  Now, in 2012, filmmakers seem to think that the only thing necessary to have a big blockbuster are elaborate special effects.  That wasn't what they thought in the 1970s.  Star Wars effects were groundbreaking at the time - and incedentaly helped establish Lucas' ILM as the kings of movie special effects.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Close Encounters, 2001, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2012, 12:24:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 12:00:37 PM
GI Joe and Transformers both were bad TV shows designed to sell toys.

There weren't many 80s cartoons better than Transformers.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:28:37 PM
How many 70s space/fantasy movies had special effects that were as good as Star Wars (non-rhetorical)?

I am sorry I thought we were talking about their cultural importance now.  I was not around in the 70s (well I was but I was too young to pay any attention) so I cannot really judge the extent that the special effects alone played a role.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 02:36:11 PM

Heh no kidding.  Now when people wax eloquenlty about Transformers and buy DVDs and so forth that is pure nostalgia.

crazy canuck

The special effects were great.  But that was not why Star Wars had the cultural impact it did.  There were other movies like ET and Close Encouters of the Third Kind that had great special effects but not nearly the kind impact Star Wars had.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:37:47 PM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 02:36:11 PM

Heh no kidding.  Now when people wax eloquenlty about Transformers and buy DVDs and so forth that is pure nostalgia.

Indeed. I mean - I could tell it was crap when I was nine years old.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 02:35:52 PM
Close Encounters, 2001, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

AFAIK three of those were released after Star Wars. 2001 is certainly one of the giants in special effects before Star Wars.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2012, 02:38:53 PM
The special effects were great.  But that was not why Star Wars had the cultural impact it did.  There were other movies like ET and Close Encouters of the Third Kind that had great special effects but not nearly the kind impact Star Wars had.

Unlike ET or Close Encounters Star Wars had really cool gadgets and environments and was completely set in space or exotic planets and had cool aliens etc. An escapist's dream. Plus when Star Wars already had made its huge splash getting a new extreme pop culture phenomenon out of ET or Close Encounters faced an uphill battle.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:49:35 PM

Unlike ET or Close Encounters Star Wars had really cool gadgets and environments and was completely set in space or exotic planets and had cool aliens etc. An escapist's dream. Plus when Star Wars already had made its huge splash getting a new extreme pop culture phenomenon out of ET or Close Encounters faced an uphill battle.

So now you appear to be agreeing with the concept that Star Wars had something more than just great special effects.  This was no cliche.  It had powerful mythical archetypes set in and used in competely new ways.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:28:37 PM

I am sorry I thought we were talking about their cultural importance now.  I was not around in the 70s (well I was but I was too young to pay any attention) so I cannot really judge the extent that the special effects alone played a role.

I am convinced that the cultural importance of Star Wars today is firmly based on what happened when it was released.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2012, 02:52:14 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:49:35 PM

So now you appear to be agreeing with the concept that Star Wars had something more than just great special effects.  This was no cliche.  It had powerful mythical archetypes set in and used in competely new ways.

I don't follow. I have never said that the only thing Star Wars had was special effects. I have said in this thread that Star Wars used powerful archetypes. The only new thing I've seen about them in Star Wars though is that they are in space. Completely new ways? I just don't see it.