George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2012, 11:39:46 AM
Blade Runner, Alien, 2001 (and, I think, Moon) and I'd argue for Children of Men too.

Well, you got three of four right!   :P

Chicken of Men was horrible.  Unwatchable bad.  300 bad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
I've never gotten the Jedi hate.  So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?  Perhaps it's because I like a good ending, and Jedi is a quite satisfactor ending to all the lose storylines - empire is defeated, Han rescued, anakin redeemed, Luke finds his family and Han finds his love.  The end.

But since I'm uncomfortable geing anywhere near Ideo in thei conversation, I will say he's smoking crack if he thinks Jedi is better than Star Wars (Ep IV).

This is crux of my disagreement with the Palmetto yokel
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?

Well that was the thing.  It had a plot that was hard for me, as a kid, to follow.  It was convoluted and confusing.  This is a kid's movie for godsake.

But this problem was far worse in the prequels.  I mean the Phantom Menace has no obvious protagonist and no obvious antagonist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I've never gotten the Jedi hate.  So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?  Perhaps it's because I like a good ending, and Jedi is a quite satisfactor ending to all the lose storylines - empire is defeated, Han rescued, anakin redeemed, Luke finds his family and Han finds his love.  The end.

But since I'm uncomfortable geing anywhere near Ideo in thei conversation, I will say he's smoking crack if he thinks Jedi is better than Star Wars (Ep IV). 

Return of the Jedi was a Three Stooges film set in the Star Wars universe.  It was not the worst SW movie ever made, but was such a huge change of pace and let-down after the mature movies in the series.

Considered as part of the juvie run of SW movies, it is all right.  Better, certainly, than the two movies that followed it.  I can't speak about it compared to the last SW movies, because I haven't seen that one (nor the last half of the fifth movie).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

I tend to like endings better than beginnings.  Star Wars is very good (although its effects work suffers in comparison to Empire and Jedi, I try not to hold that against it).  However, think about it: you can only keep two of the three in existence.  If you save Hope and Empire, you lose the ending; future audiences will never know what happened in that universe.  If you save Empire and Jedi, you have two films that tell a complete story and the history can be figured out.

P.S. FU Beeb.

P.P.S.: Sheilbh and fahdiz are good guys, as Moon is the bestest movie made in the past decade or two.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 03:48:19 PM
I tend to like endings better than beginnings.  Star Wars is very good (although its effects work suffers in comparison to Empire and Jedi, I try not to hold that against it).  However, think about it: you can only keep two of the three in existence.  If you save Hope and Empire, you lose the ending; future audiences will never know what happened in that universe.  If you save Empire and Jedi, you have two films that tell a complete story and the history can be figured out.

P.S. FU Beeb.

P.P.S.: Sheilbh and fahdiz are good guys, as Moon is the bestest movie made in the past decade or two.

I hear you, I'm an ass man myself. But I'd definitely keep Hope and Empire. The ending is that the empire wins, which is win.

grumbler

Why would we not be able to watch a movie that has already been made?  :huh:  That it occupies the last-place position in the chronological order seems a stupid reason for saying a movie is better.

If, instead, you could remake the weakest movie of the first three SW movies, it is obvious to me that you would remake the third one.  If you injected a plot, some characters, the originally-planned Wokies, and hired a professional to write the dialogue, you could make a really good movie out of it that could end the story in a non-absurd way.

That's how I would measure the quality of the movie; not by its place in the series of three movies, but by its quality.

Bayraktar!

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2012, 03:55:36 PM

Why would we not be able to watch a movie that has already been made?  :huh: 

Well you're unable to watch Ep III. As am I.

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on January 19, 2012, 03:57:08 PM
Godfather 3 is Ide's favorite movie.

At least it has Eli Wallach. Eli would have owned in Jedi.

Ideologue

It's a hypothetical situation, g.

In any event, it's not the only reason I like Jedi better--that probably comes down to the space battle--but it is the most compelling reason to pick Jedi within the bounds of what I originally said, and the fact that it is the resolution does indeed make it a more enjoyable watch, for me.

Changing the rules per your post, if I were going to remake any given Star Wars OT film, it'd still be Hope.  But that's because of the effects, and the difference in quality between the three films--outside of effects--is, imo, minimal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on January 19, 2012, 03:57:08 PM
Godfather 3 is Ide's favorite movie.

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, except parts of the first.

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade trade places regularly as to which is my favorite Indy film though. :P
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 04:00:23 PM
Temple of Doom and Last Crusade trade places regularly as to which is my favorite Indy film though. :P

:o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue