George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

I think a lot of people went into that movie with a bad attitude.  Understandable, given the prequel trilogy, and, sure, it's weaker than any of the other Indy films, and the use of greenscreen is occasionally distracting, and YES THE FRIDGE I KNOW, but overall I enjoyed it.  Blanchett was totally hot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 03:44:47 PM
Ide should be sent to gaol.

No, we love him too much for that. He should be thrown into the Great Pit of Carkoon and slowly consumed by the Sarlacc.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 04:00:23 PM
Temple of Doom and Last Crusade trade places regularly as to which is my favorite Indy film though. :P

:o

That's not too bad, all 3 are in my top 10 or 20.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, except parts of the first.

:huh:  Really?  You need to do something about that.  The first two are some of the best cinema ever made. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2012, 03:47:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
I've never gotten the Jedi hate.  So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?  Perhaps it's because I like a good ending, and Jedi is a quite satisfactor ending to all the lose storylines - empire is defeated, Han rescued, anakin redeemed, Luke finds his family and Han finds his love.  The end.

But since I'm uncomfortable geing anywhere near Ideo in thei conversation, I will say he's smoking crack if he thinks Jedi is better than Star Wars (Ep IV). 

Return of the Jedi was a Three Stooges film set in the Star Wars universe.  It was not the worst SW movie ever made, but was such a huge change of pace and let-down after the mature movies in the series.

Considered as part of the juvie run of SW movies, it is all right.  Better, certainly, than the two movies that followed it. 

Agree 100%.  At the time I saw it, I thought it was better than Hope and Empire.  Part of that was due to the fact that I was in 4th grade, and the other part was due to the excitement of seeing it the day it was released (my mom showed up at school unexpectedly right before lunch and pulled me and my best friend out of class to go to the theater for the first showing-- I still can't get over how cool that was).

Didn't take long for the Ewoks' cuteness to run thin though, and the next time I saw Empire on TV I realized how much better it was.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Ide's opinion on movies is even worse than his taste in women and his judgment on political and social issues.  Who could have thought that would even be possible?

katmai

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 05:20:08 PM
Ide's opinion on movies is even worse than his taste in women and his judgment on political and social issues.  Who could have thought that would even be possible?

I think the all reese's diet has damaged his brain.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I've never gotten the Jedi hate.  So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?  Perhaps it's because I like a good ending, and Jedi is a quite satisfactor ending to all the lose storylines - empire is defeated, Han rescued, anakin redeemed, Luke finds his family and Han finds his love.  The end.

But since I'm uncomfortable geing anywhere near Ideo in thei conversation, I will say he's smoking crack if he thinks Jedi is better than Star Wars (Ep IV).

I felt it started strong, but ended up repeating itself.  Why have the Death Star come back?  Couldn't they think of something new?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 05:02:38 PM
I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, except parts of the first.

:huh:  Really?  You need to do something about that.  The first two are the best cinema ever made.

fyp

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 05:56:09 PM

I felt it started strong, but ended up repeating itself.  Why have the Death Star come back?  Couldn't they think of something new?

No, because Lucas had already run out of good ideas.

MadImmortalMan

The Death Star was iconic by then. I think it was part of the Emperor's identity in Lucas' mind too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maximus on January 19, 2012, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.
That's because when you take nostalgia out of the picture they were all at about the same mediocre level.
I didn't get into Star Wars until my late teens, so I vociferously disagree.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2012, 08:07:07 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2012, 09:49:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Old enough to have had other interests by that stage in my life, not D&D, but not drugs.  :ph34r:
How old are you?

Well I'm in my 40s. And I find that most men of my generation grew up on a healthy dose of Star Wars and Star Wars toys. It--for better or worse--was a huge part of our culture, and in that respect continues to be, though we've outgrown the toys.

This.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"