George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

George Lucas is giving up moviemaking because critics did not like the Star Wars prequels:
QuoteFor any fans awaiting future "Star Wars" films from George Lucas, it's going to be a long wait. The creator of the famed series says he's not going to make any more of these movies and that he's essentially retiring. And for that he blames the harsh feedback from certain fans.

"Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" he tells The New York Times.

Lucas continues to bash these critics despite the fact that their appreciation for the series helped it generate $4.4 billion in worldwide box-office sales.

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie," Lucas says. "I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"

Lucas drew strong attacks from "Star Wars" fans for characters like Jar Jar Binks and for digital additions to the DVDs and re-releases of the six-part series.

"I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff," he says.
Lucas is a guy that had some cool ideas, and some really shitty ones. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference. Also: nut the fuck up, George.  :bowler:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Damn and here I thought he was laughing all the way to the bank.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Didn't he recently claim the world was going to end in 2012?
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 18, 2012, 09:18:46 PM
Didn't he recently claim the world was going to end in 2012?
In his head I think the two are linked.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

The older ones were okay movies.  I enjoyed them.  Beyond that, not much.  Lucas Arts made some good video and PC games based on them.  And some really shitty ones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.

How old are you?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2012, 09:49:14 PM

How old are you?

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Old enough to have had other interests by that stage in my life, not D&D, but not drugs.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

You're fucking British.  You're not supposed to understand.

Just know that Sir Alec Guiness could be bought in a fucking heartbeat, what what.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Drakken

The prequels would have been good if Lucas had understood that while he is a visionary and a good storyteller, he is an amateurish movie director. He should have let more competent directors (like Kershner for TESB and Kasdan for ROTJ) do the job to handle the actors, and keep himself at the script and set design level.

That, and real-life decors and props, and not the overdose of green and blue screens for CGI effects.

Valmy

What is there to get?  What do you find culturally important?  Can you tell me why?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 01:42:32 AM

What is there to get?  What do you find culturally important?

Breaking Away.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)