George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2012, 09:49:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Old enough to have had other interests by that stage in my life, not D&D, but not drugs.  :ph34r:
How old are you?

Well I'm in my 40s. And I find that most men of my generation grew up on a healthy dose of Star Wars and Star Wars toys. It--for better or worse--was a huge part of our culture, and in that respect continues to be, though we've outgrown the toys.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Brazen

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 02:06:01 AM
Breaking Away.
I :wub: that film, one of my childhood favourites.

Isn't it about time someone "re-imagined" A New Hope?

Darth Wagtaros

Not everyone. :(
Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2012, 08:07:07 AM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.

Old enough to have had other interests by that stage in my life, not D&D, but not drugs.  :ph34r:
How old are you?

Well I'm in my 40s. And I find that most men of my generation grew up on a healthy dose of Star Wars and Star Wars toys. It--for better or worse--was a huge part of our culture, and in that respect continues to be, though we've outgrown the toys.
PDH!

dps

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 19, 2012, 08:40:35 AM
Not everyone. :(
Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2012, 08:07:07 AM

How old are you?

"Not everyone" as in you were deprived of the toys during your childhood, or as in you haven't outgrown them?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and were suddenly silenced. I fear something great has happened.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

The feedback from Ep 1 is only now reaching Lucas? Well the parade of racist stereotypes in that movie certainly shows how completely isolated Lucas is from normal society. He actually thought that Der Stürmer and minstrel show caricatures were good, fresh ideas.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I'm not a big fan, but I like the Star Wars movies,including the prequels. Lucas is in a very tough industry, lots of critics. There will always be plenty of people who dislike movies, actors, directors, etc. It's very subjective, obviously. Some love the same things others dislike. He obviously must know that, as it's a part of his artistic type business. So I just find it odd how he's pointing to bad critiques as a reason to leave the industry, given all he's done successfully.

Maximus

That's because when you take nostalgia out of the picture they were all at about the same mediocre level.

derspiess

I was pretty much obsessed with Star Wars from around 1978 to 1984.  I didn't even see A New Hope in its entirety until 1980, but my older brother saw it during its first run in the theater and of course I was always into whatever he thought was cool.  I can remember when pretty much all Star Wars merchandise on the market was listed in a small Kenner brochure.

So anyway, Star Wars has been ingrained in my consciousness since age 4.  I'm not so much into it now, apart from my kid forcing me to play Lego Star Wars with him, but it's one of those things that sort of stays with you whether you realize it or not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on January 19, 2012, 11:18:40 AM
That's because when you take nostalgia out of the picture they were all at about the same mediocre level.

Ok if the first two movies were mediocrity what is excellence in Sci Fi movies?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 11:23:24 AM
So anyway, Star Wars has been ingrained in my consciousness since age 4.  I'm not so much into it now, apart from my kid forcing me to play Lego Star Wars with him, but it's one of those things that sort of stays with you whether you realize it or not.

Well I was pretty obsessed with transformers and GI Joe and all that as a kid but I can look back now and see that it was pretty crap entertainment.  I do not know if just because I liked something as a kid I am going to like as an adult and consider it culturally important.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I'd say the first one was a fun adventure movie, something that was increasingly rare during the 1970's.  This was during the "New Hollywood era", which produced some dull and dreadful films.  Star Wars was a bit of throwback, with simple morality and swashbuckling fun.  I think this is why is was so popular and why it resonated with audiences.  The second film was a bit darker and more complex, but still had many of those simple themes that audiences craved.  The third one kinda went off the rails after the first act.  The rest of Hollywood followed suit after the Star Wars films, and you got many of the same type of films.

By the the time of the prequels the market was already saturated with that kind of film so it had less impact.  It didn't help that the prequels weren't that well made.  They had lousy writing, terrible acting and awful direction.  The first films weren't spectacular in these departments but they got the job done.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 11:27:12 AM

Ok if the first two movies were mediocrity what is excellence in Sci Fi movies?
Blade Runner, Alien, 2001 (and, I think, Moon) and I'd argue for Children of Men too.

Not that I'm judging Star Wars, but I think those are excellent sci fi films. 
Let's bomb Russia!