New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Mr. Grey on October 12, 2012, 07:25:37 AM
I am only playing on normal difficulty, but it doesn't seem like enemies actually move on the map until you move a squad member to a predetermined area. I hope this is not the case on higher difficulties.

It seems to me that there are two groups of aliens.

1) Those that hang around in one location and wait for you.
2) Those that actively move around the map on patrol.

I'm playing on normal right now and the former group is the most likely, but I have seen the groups of the latter come waltzing into my detection range and then scatter. What annoys me most is that they get an extra "reaction" turn as soon as they notice you.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 07:54:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2012, 12:05:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:09:02 PM
It's a little annoying that when my soldiers panic, they feel the best way to express themselves is shoot at one another.  I kinda assumed that X-com was taking the best of the best and the rookies were like special forces from their respective countries.  Maybe they are just raw recruits.

Is it just the women or is it everyone?

Actually the women seems to fire at the aliens when they panic.  The men seem to have issues and start firing at the chicks.  I met my first trio of Mutons.  Bastards were hard to hit.  Ended up using grenades and rockets to really put them down.

I rushed research to laser weapons as soon as I saw it and Mutons haven't been much of a problem, especially with Snipers on Squad Sight, which just kills anything.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Kleves on October 12, 2012, 09:42:10 AM
A couple crashes so far. That's one demerit to playing on PC.  <_<
is it happening in same spot?
Haven't had any problems yet here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Mr. Grey

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 12, 2012, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: Mr. Grey on October 12, 2012, 07:25:37 AM
I am only playing on normal difficulty, but it doesn't seem like enemies actually move on the map until you move a squad member to a predetermined area. I hope this is not the case on higher difficulties.

It seems to me that there are two groups of aliens.

1) Those that hang around in one location and wait for you.
2) Those that actively move around the map on patrol.

I'm playing on normal right now and the former group is the most likely, but I have seen the groups of the latter come waltzing into my detection range and then scatter. What annoys me most is that they get an extra "reaction" turn as soon as they notice you.

I was reading on the XCOM forums about certain groups 'patrolling.' I just haven't noticed it yet.

I think the 'reaction turn' they get when you stumble upon them is unfair. Does your squad get the same when alien patrols come upon you?!

I have made the command decision to get the new guy training next. I do have a fair amount of vets, but bringing a rookie on a mission mid-game is horrible. Even the basic perks make a big difference.
Autokrator lives

Grey Fox

I don't get the reaction turn hate, maybe it's because I've never played the original.

I see it has where they end up is where they should have been along all that time. The original spot is just a scenario to play a nifty cutscene a billion time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Mr. Grey

I agree about it just being part of the cutscene; just annoying.
In the original..if you stumbled upon them, you could take a shot. They only reaction aliens could make was taking a shot if they were on overwatch, they couldn't just run away into cover. 

I also realized last night how much I miss aim/snap/auto shot. When a chryssalid is 1 tile away from me...it would be nice to take a triple shot!
Autokrator lives

FunkMonk

Normal battlescape might be a little too easy. I think I've done maybe 15 missions total and haven't lost a single soldier.  :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 12, 2012, 11:03:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 07:54:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2012, 12:05:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:09:02 PM
It's a little annoying that when my soldiers panic, they feel the best way to express themselves is shoot at one another.  I kinda assumed that X-com was taking the best of the best and the rookies were like special forces from their respective countries.  Maybe they are just raw recruits.

Is it just the women or is it everyone?

Actually the women seems to fire at the aliens when they panic.  The men seem to have issues and start firing at the chicks.  I met my first trio of Mutons.  Bastards were hard to hit.  Ended up using grenades and rockets to really put them down.

I rushed research to laser weapons as soon as I saw it and Mutons haven't been much of a problem, especially with Snipers on Squad Sight, which just kills anything.

Yeah, I had laser weapons.  The Muton was just hard to hit despite being right next to me.  They also have an ability to panic your soldiers.  I went into an Alien base with my "A" team, and a guy shot a muton with a laser.  The Muton responded by going into a Frenzy which freaked my guy out.  His response to panic:  Shot the Muton again. :lol:  Also captured one the big bastards in that mission.  I've been playing Normal-Iron man and lost four guys so far.  Two Rookies and two Squaddies.  Usually I lose them do to bad luck, though one died because of a Chrysalid.

What kind of squads are you guys putting out?  I've been putting out mixed groups of vets and rookies.  Maybe one really good guy, and a few squaddies and Rookies.  Lasers and carapace armor help quite a bit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

I usually like two snipers, two assaults, one support, and one heavy. I'll usually bring a single rookie or a squaddie along so they can level up.

Razgovory

I never get enough Assaults.  I'm afraid if I put to many vets in a unit, that if some terrible disaster happens they will get wiped out.  I did put together my "all star team" for some of the really hairy moments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Cecil

Yeah I also run the 2A/2S/1H/1S combo. Just seemed like the best one from my limited play and so far it worked really well. Run and gun assaults with a laser shotgun are a wrecking ball and the snipers with upgraded scopes and lasers are demolishing anything that run into sight.

This game is something I havent done in quite a while. I start with a mission and all of a sudden 9 hours have passed and its light outside.... :Embarrass:

FunkMonk

Assaults are great because you can give them rifle and they're still really effective. I like the added flexibility. I'll give one Assault the Laser Shotty who closes with the enemy while the other Assault works in tandem with him. The Support stays near the Heavy who just blasts things whatever the chance to hit because Holotargetting works every time.

I only have to do that if anything gets past the two Snipers, which is rare. A fully-vetted Sniper with a SCOPE and Double Tap is incredible.

Also, the SHIV is super useful. I cleared out an Alien base with no losses because it would just roll up, spot for my Sniper and laugh at the aliens. Later it got gangbanged by Chrysalids so I had to hoof it with the regular troops.  :mad:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 04:40:53 PM
I never get enough Assaults.  I'm afraid if I put to many vets in a unit, that if some terrible disaster happens they will get wiped out.  I did put together my "all star team" for some of the really hairy moments.

I have too many Assaults in my game. :P

I really like Supports but my game wants to be stingy with them. Cpt. Audrey Hepburn can't pop smokes and medkits on every mission goddamnit.