New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I haven't come across any bugs except graphical errors like clipping.  I doubt that will be fixed.  I'm happy with the game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on October 13, 2012, 08:31:29 PM
I haven't purchased the game yet, so maybe this is answered...but if governments around the world know there's aliens trying to steal and murder people, why do they give you what amounts to pennies to save the human race? Why not spend billions on more R&D and so forth, rather than trusting this dinky little semi-secretive outfit and hope they don't all die? Why send tiny 6-man squads to fight the aliens, instead of, say...an entire planeload of paratroopers?

Actually they never say how much money they give you.  It's all in credits, so I have no idea what a credit are equal to.  We have pretty good R&D though.  I started out with assault rifles and kevlar in March and now have power armor and plasma rifles in July, so we are doing pretty good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 14, 2012, 03:03:22 AM
Are credits only good at the company store?

Probably.

I failed my first mission.  One of those damn abduction ones no less.  Started off on that grave yard map and as soon as I got off the airplane I was attacked by a Cyberdisk and two of those thin guys.  Not too hard, but while my men were reloading from that fight a patrol of Mutons attacked.  Okay, they got the jump on me, but I can take them.  The next round a another patrol of Mutons attacked from the other side along with a Bezerker.  After killing half my squad two of my guys panicked, while the last guy (a major who was the leader of this little outing) ran off to the evac.  Now all of Asia, Europe and Africa is mad at me.  At least I got to keep their gear.  That shit's expensive.

I think I might have found a bug on my next mission though.  I had two Mutons and a Beserker spawn in the middle of a field two squares in front of me.  Fortuantly everyone was on overwatch.  And we fried them.

I swear though, sometimes It seem like the aliens get two free turns when they start.

Syt

I notice that if you put someone in overwatch, then on the same turn "activate" aliens, say Sectoids, who scramble for cover - your overwatch guy may fire on them if they pass through his FOV. Of course, coordinating that may be a bit hard. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2012, 05:04:42 AM
I notice that if you put someone in overwatch, then on the same turn "activate" aliens, say Sectoids, who scramble for cover - your overwatch guy may fire on them if they pass through his FOV. Of course, coordinating that may be a bit hard. :P

Yeah, they usually do, but that battle in cemetery everyone was reloading cause I didn't expect to be rushed by Mutons.  I move very slowly across the map.  Moving at half speed so I can put people on overwatch.  Sometimes overwatch doesn't work and my soldiers will just stand there idiotically while aliens scatter.  You'd think hitting an 8 foot tall purple fellow who looks to weigh near half a ton would be a bit easier, but for some reason I have a hard time hitting them.  Harder then shooting a 3 foot tall sectoid who crawls around on his hands and knees.  It kinda looks silly when a Muton is hiding behind a two foot tall tombstone and and there's like 4 square feet of him showing.  It's even worse when my men only are 10 feet away from said Muton and missing their shots.  Especially with some kind of laser machine gun.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2012, 05:04:42 AM

yeah.

Also an important discovery for me is that mission difficulty, especially early on, can be tackled better than expected, as it means more enemies and more agressive behavior. The latter can be exploited.

FunkMonk

Quote from: JonasSalk on October 13, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
I demand more realism in my dark alien murderfantasies.

Fair enough :P

One other thing to think about for those of you on the fence: The games menus are heavily consolized, which is really fucking annoying. Why do I have to flip from soldier to soldier just to look at their stats instead of looking at just one screen? Shouldn't I be able to sort the order in which I view my soldiers? Do I really have to go through three screens just to switch loadouts between soldiers from the mission launch screen? Why can't I just see all the information for one soldier on one screen? Instead I have to flip between four different sets of information for each soldier. And the menus are too damn big. They fit like four lines of text.

I don't know if stuff like this moddable, but if it is hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Fucking Firaxis. :rolleyes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Ok, after giving up on the Classic Mode I think I've hit my stride with the Normal mode. I do still have casualties, most likely because I suck, but no squad wipes so far. :lol:

Finally made it into the first alien base (did I mention I suck?). I sent in my elite squad. My Egyptian assault chick got lucky a few times.

First, she's attacked by several baddies, but manages to stay alive although her cover is shot to pieces.

Next she runs&guns at a drone and shoots. Of course I forgot to switch back to laser-shotgun, so she shoots the robot at point blank range with her pistol and takes off one health. (She's saved by her Captain - now Major - who gets a lucky shot with a laser rifle.)

Finally, she is shot at point blank range by my best sniper who had been taken over by that Sectoid Psi dude (sniper is saved, fortunately).

My two heavy sergeants bought it during the mission, though. Three Chryssalids came at one of them at once. My snipers took down two, but before the third got it, it gored my heavy. Who returned as zombie to kill my other heavy because she couldn't get away fast enough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

The combat difficulty is more murderously difficult than the original.  I mean, wow.  I've restarted the tutorial on classic and ironman, because I wiped on the first Chryssalid mission.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 14, 2012, 09:08:38 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on October 13, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
I demand more realism in my dark alien murderfantasies.

Fair enough :P

One other thing to think about for those of you on the fence: The games menus are heavily consolized, which is really fucking annoying. Why do I have to flip from soldier to soldier just to look at their stats instead of looking at just one screen? Shouldn't I be able to sort the order in which I view my soldiers? Do I really have to go through three screens just to switch loadouts between soldiers from the mission launch screen? Why can't I just see all the information for one soldier on one screen? Instead I have to flip between four different sets of information for each soldier. And the menus are too damn big. They fit like four lines of text.

I don't know if stuff like this moddable, but if it is hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Fucking Firaxis. :rolleyes:

OK they don't want my money.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Razgovory

Josquius

Really tempted by this...but so many half finished games and even some unstarted games....
██████
██████
██████

Mr. Grey

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 12, 2012, 02:57:58 PM
I usually like two snipers, two assaults, one support, and one heavy. I'll usually bring a single rookie or a squaddie along so they can level up.

This has become my typical setup. High-ranking assaults are sick, especially with the alloy cannon.  I did just start using the hover SHIV the last two missions...it was nice not having to make a poor squaddie charge into a room!

I am at the last mission on normal. I am sad that I am already about to finish my first playthrough; happy that I can start a fresh game on classic with a better plan

*already looking forward to DLC!! I am very satisfied with the outcome of remake.
Autokrator lives