New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Strategy?
Um unless the mission has mutons I haven't faced any other alien using grenades so if mission without them I ignore my normal approach and keep my guys with LOS of rest of squad when facing those zombie making bastards.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

daveracher

The floating discs will whip grenades. I'll try a tigher group and see what happens. My worst encounters have been floating discs and chrysalids. Bloody nightmare.
Birdman of Burlington

katmai

With that combo you are fucked. Just have to hope get lucky and researched enough weapons and armor.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I got two Russian chicks with the last name.  I wonder if they are sisters. :hmm: I have a lot more Americans this time around.  Last game I had mostly Nigerians for some reason.  I also have one chick from Britain and one from Scotland.  I didn't think Scotland was an independent country.  For some reason women survive longer then men in this.  I call it, "The Ripley effect".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

daveracher

Just as a side note - since I've started playing this my parrot now shouts in a pained voice "Awww Fuck OFF!"
Birdman of Burlington

FunkMonk

What continents do you guys start in? I like Africa for the extra funds.

If you launch a satellite over a different continent, do you also get the continent bonus? Or just the country bonus?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

ulmont

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 11, 2012, 12:04:18 PM
If you launch a satellite over a different continent, do you also get the continent bonus? Or just the country bonus?

Country, until you have a sufficient number of satellites over the continent, at which time you pick up the continent bonus.  I hear starting in Africa and immediately throwing satellites up over Europe (starting with Russia) is a pretty good economic strategy.

UFOpaedia has a section for the new X-COM, but it's kinda light on information right now.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Enemy_Unknown_(EU2012)

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 11, 2012, 12:04:18 PM
What continents do you guys start in? I like Africa for the extra funds.

I started in the USA, cause you know. USA!  USA!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

It's a little annoying that when my soldiers panic, they feel the best way to express themselves is shoot at one another.  I kinda assumed that X-com was taking the best of the best and the rookies were like special forces from their respective countries.  Maybe they are just raw recruits.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:09:02 PM
It's a little annoying that when my soldiers panic, they feel the best way to express themselves is shoot at one another.  I kinda assumed that X-com was taking the best of the best and the rookies were like special forces from their respective countries.  Maybe they are just raw recruits.

Is it just the women or is it everyone?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr. Grey

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2012, 07:48:52 AM
You could have use a 360 controller with your laptop.

^ so sad that I just learned about this a few weeks back.

Stupid Chryssalids! I thought I had killed the last muton on a landed UFO...but no extract and the alien 'noise beacon' thing pointed back outside the ship. I figured one of those crafty bastards snuck outside to flank me. I sent my assault (MAJ w/Laser shotgun) dashing outside....into a pack of 3 Chryssalids. My first officer to be KIA.

I do love that beacon thing...I recall my frustration spending an hour looking for the last stupid sectoid on 'very large ufo' missions in the original (motion sensor was stupid!).  I am only playing on normal difficulty, but it doesn't seem like enemies actually move on the map until you move a squad member to a predetermined area. I hope this is not the case on higher difficulties.

Autokrator lives

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2012, 12:05:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:09:02 PM

Is it just the women or is it everyone?

Actually the women seems to fire at the aliens when they panic.  The men seem to have issues and start firing at the chicks.  I met my first trio of Mutons.  Bastards were hard to hit.  Ended up using grenades and rockets to really put them down.

Grey Fox

I lost my first soldier, on the first mission before I could rename him, his name lost to history.

:(

My best sniper so far is named after my GF, in hindsight, that was a bad idea.

Also, I change everybody's head to an helmet. Especially the Assaults & Heavies. Dudes, aliens, atleast wear some protection.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

A couple crashes so far. That's one demerit to playing on PC.  <_<
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

A couple missions in and I like it a lot (playing Classic/Ironman).

My first soldier has earned her nickname - a NZ girl sniper. I had a Swedish assault chick ( :perv: ?) equipped with a stun gun to capture an alien. She got a bit unlucky during the following mission - she was poisoned once at the beginning of the mission, then again at the end of it which caused her to panic, before a Thin Man finally put her out of her misery. :( She already had a WTF moment in a previous mission where she and a sectoid duelled at point blank range with only limited success on both sides.

The mission had a bit of a funny moment, too. A Thin Man is dropped into the mission area - three of my squad get up simultaneously and blast him to bits. :lol:

In the mission before that (clearing a downed UFO) a German girl was down to her last health blip and in the line of fire of three aliens. She managed to survive and even take out the last aliens (two linked sectoids) with a 25% hit chance. ^_^

My first soldier (from the tutorial mission), an Argie heavy died on his third mission  when he (literally) ran into a Thin Man. :pinch:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.