News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Occupy Movement - First Impressions.

Started by mongers, December 24, 2011, 02:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Occupy Spokane opens storefront 'clubhouse'
NWCN.com

Posted on May 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

SPOKANE-- "Occupy Spokane" now has an official headquarters that members call the "clubhouse" located at east Sprague and Pittsburgh.

Some members say the Occupy Spokane movement is getting more and more organized and always evolving and now the movement has an official home.

Terry Hill is one of three partners who got the club house up and running. In the office.  You'll find information about the occupy Spokane movement, and merchandise for sale including coffee and snacks. "The goal is not to make any money, just generate enough revenue that we can afford to stay here and use the place kind of a headquarters for Occupy Spokane."

Occupy has a month to month lease.  Hill remained tight-lipped exactly how much it is.

Hill says now occupy members have a place to socialize and plan events.  There's even wifi access for more than 30 computers at one time.

Hill says Occupy Spokane is more than just routine organized marches and protests.   Members also look to help the community.

Occupy adopted a feline dubbed Occucat from the local Humane Society to man the office. It's also planned fundraising events not solely for the movement's benefit.

The office is opened from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. everyday.

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=153852885&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10222

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

Looks like a combination of college dorm and washed up moonbat with a touch of church basement.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I can't tell if that's a lamp or a double chambered water bong on the table.

Richard Hakluyt

It would be a laugh if a bunch of millionaire Republicans broke in and occupied the Occupy club-house. They could wear their expensive suits, get pissed on champagne and send out for hookers  :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 25, 2012, 03:08:35 PM
It would be a laugh if a bunch of millionaire Republicans broke in and occupied the Occupy club-house. They could wear their expensive suits, get pissed on champagne and send out for hookers  :huh:

They have a life.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2012, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 25, 2012, 03:08:35 PM

They have a life.
Their life is mostly about complaining about scum like the Occupiers.  This would, pardon the pun, occupy a large mass of idealogues, and keep them from bothering the general population.
PDH!

mongers

I may have attended the semi-official ending of the occupy movement in the UK ? :unsure:

As it turns out the Dorset/Bournemouth group is pretty much the last group actively 'occupying' places, they tend to get moved on every couple of weeks, but I managed to find the new site, an abandoned car park overlooking the town.

I attended as I had a proposal for a change of tactics, towards a 'legal' form of occupation; which went down well, but I have to do all the leg work to get it set up.

As it was, the meeting was attended by quite a few of the original members, and despite the airing of the original dispute about the paedophile, that had proved so divisive first time around, people seemed to make an effort to get along.

The subject moved on to tactics and perhaps a change of direction, and one of the people who spoke up was an early participant, who'd gone on to concentrate on activities with the union backed UK Uncut group.

And her analysis was that, whilst being OK/great to start with, she'd had enough of it/burned out and thought the movement had come to an end or a dead end. In her mind the general public just thought about it in terms of those tent people and that it was largely without point to continue the same old way, there were better ways of doing things.
I hope I've accurately summed up her views.

And most people seemed to acquiesce to this view, the most vocal and up to that point, the most dominant of the speakers agreed and asked what direction they should now go in.  Various ideas were discussed, before the meeting broke up.

So as it now stands, the last few active ones seem to be looking for a new direction and to some extent are fed up with the whole occupying, then getting moved on gig. The end seems not far off.

FTIW, as far as I know London occupy has ceased occupy any locations, though no doubt many at 'doing' on-line 'stuff'.
Oh and someone or some organisation seems to have walked off with 30,000+ quids worth of unspent donations.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

There's still a big camp in Finsbury Square I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

You knew that these were going to end in fraud.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 22, 2012, 09:12:12 PM
There's still a big camp in Finsbury Square I think.

It went more than a month ago, there were 4 'occupiers'* left at the end

* Actually 4 of the homeless addicted characters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!