Question about flight, motion and physics

Started by Jaron, July 22, 2012, 07:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Hi all,

I have a question for you guys..I'm no physics guy by any means so hopefully someone here can answer these questions:

1) When someone or something is ejected from a moving object, will their velocity at least initially match the object they were ejected from?

example: someone thrown from a car going 65 mph, or a skydiver jumping out of an airplane going 550 mph

2) If two objects are flying parallel to one another by a Z coordinate (aka one right above the other) at the same rate of speed, could a PERSON jump from the upper object to the lower object without the higher object having any kind of lead in distance?

example: Two airplanes  - one flying 30 feet above the other at the same rate of speed - could I jump out of the top airplane and land on top of the bottom airplane or would I begin to lose speed once I jumped out of the plane and completely miss?

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

All the theories that can be posted on Languish are no substitute for real world experimentation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2012, 07:41:58 PM
All the theories that can be posted on Languish are no substitute for real world experimentation.

:P Trust me. This is going to a very good cause.

Admiral Yi

1) yes

2) the top plane better be ahead of the bottom plane.  Your body has more drag than a plane and no thrust.

Jaron

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2012, 07:50:16 PM
1) yes

2) the top plane better be ahead of the bottom plane.  Your body has more drag than a plane and no thrust.

Depending on the situation and the company, my body has plenty of thrust. :perv:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on July 22, 2012, 07:53:20 PM
Depending on the situation and the company, my body has plenty of thrust. :perv:

And the diet.

Ideologue

The amount of drag and resuling friction at 550mph would, I expect, be completely unsustainable for a human being outside of an aircraft, yes.  Even skydivers in a straight dive only get up to about 200mph and afaik that's already pretty bad.

I don't know if the exact stunt has ever been performed by wing walkers or other daredevils, but a 65mph transfer from one vehicle to another might be possible.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

You never said you dropped your girlfriend from a plane.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

In a vacuum, it would be easy to jump from one plane to the other.  Then again, in a vacuum, planes wouldn't be able to fly, nor would you be able to stay alive, for that matter.

The Brain

Vacuums are typically too small for planes or Jaron.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Untrue.  You can survive unprotected in a vacuum for a period, if you observe certain requirements (namely exhaling first, so that your lungs aren't fatally damaged from the lack of pressure).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller