The Occupy Movement - First Impressions.

Started by mongers, December 24, 2011, 02:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 27, 2012, 06:43:31 PM
"caricatures" old bean  :cool:

When people start going on about the protocols of the elders of Zion it is time to back out of the room.

Or give them a copy of Eco's latest book.  That gives you more time to back away because at first they will think you are one of them but then, if they are bright enough, they will realize what you did.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on January 27, 2012, 06:21:55 PM

So some of the people were back to posting somewhat odd stuff on the two open facebook groups within a few hours or a day or two, no big deal, there's a fair few wacky people about.

What did surprise me is one of the more leading lights of the group was perhaps reverting to type, or more likely just uncritically reposting 'meme' like material which nether the less includes this gem:

http://www.helpfreetheearth.com/news319_protocols.html

:bleeding: :tinfoil:

It's a pity because myself and a couple of other people seemed to have 'chased off' a couple of the more extreme dingbats, but I guess this doesn't give me much option but to have a stand up head to head at the next meeting or deciding now to stop giving a fuck about some of these fruit-loops and walk away from the whole thing ?

Pity really as quite a few of the people are rather decent, concerned and are attempting to do worthwhile things for others, not at all like the charactertures portrayed in some sections of the media.

Wow. I love the photoshopped-in extra blood in the pics. No viruses from the site surprisingly.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Somewhat interesting debate between some occupy activists and politicians including Alistair Campbell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bb94f/The_Big_Questions_Series_5_Episode_3/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

mongers

This is the recent High Court ruling against the Occupy London Stock Exchange ( Occupy LSX/St.Pauls) :

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2012/34.html

Worth a read, very well written and a model for a judge setting out his decision in easily understood plain English. 

Point 152. is interesting as it seems to echo my thoughts on a fundamental lack of organisation or joined up thinking:

On the defendants' side there was no convincing refutation of the evidence those witnesses gave. Most of its factual content was left intact. Indeed, much of the evidence given for the defendants was not merely consistent with the City's but lent it more force, for it displayed the ultimate failure of the protestors, both individually and acting through their General Assembly and various working groups, to put right many of the problems caused by the camp. As Mr Forsdick submitted, it is telling that at the end of the trial of this claim the advice given to the City's committee before proceedings were begun has been vindicated by the evidence the court has heard.

Edit:
I should say their 'final' appeal is on Monday 13th, so assuming that fails I'd imagine the City Police will end the occupation by the end of the week.  Any later and I'd think that would risk taking the stand-off into the milder spring weather, which will significantly strengthen the protesters determination for activities across London. 

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 27, 2012, 06:21:55 PM

So some of the people were back to posting somewhat odd stuff on the two open facebook groups within a few hours or a day or two, no big deal, there's a fair few wacky people about.

What did surprise me is one of the more leading lights of the group was perhaps reverting to type, or more likely just uncritically reposting 'meme' like material which nether the less includes this gem:

http://www.helpfreetheearth.com/news319_protocols.html

:bleeding: :tinfoil:

It's a pity because myself and a couple of other people seemed to have 'chased off' a couple of the more extreme dingbats, but I guess this doesn't give me much option but to have a stand up head to head at the next meeting or deciding now to stop giving a fuck about some of these fruit-loops and walk away from the whole thing ?

Pity really as quite a few of the people are rather decent, concerned and are attempting to do worthwhile things for others, not at all like the charactertures portrayed in some sections of the media.

I think I should Email SJgames to inform them of copyright violation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

I think this Freemen of the land nonsense is getting quite a hold of my local group, it keeps seeping out of the woodwork; I was discussing something on face book, I made an innocent comment and this popped up.

Theo *****
Freeman or slave,its a personal choice.

Me
Strawman ?

Scott *****
Straw man is simply the fictional device used in comerce! comercial contract law is the basis for all societal interaction! The CAPITALISED NAME is the representation of the fiction for the purposes of comerce! You were awarded a 'share' of the resources of this beautiful planet upon your birth! This 'share' is your "right" and as such is protected by 'law' which is the applicable manifestation of the system designed to protect your 'rights'! Your ability to control your strawman is directly proportional to your responsibility of self in relation to others in the world, freedom is given to those with the moral and emotional capacity to embrace it without fear and to live it from the heart!

:huh:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 16, 2012, 07:12:49 PM
TIMECUBE! YOU ARE STUPID EDUCATED

People are actually doing some really damaging stuff because of this baloney.

One woman is taking her daughter out of school for home schooling it's part of her 'reasoning', I won't quote the whole letter she posted in the open group as I've now blocked her but it included this :
WI cannot have my childs need ignored over a mini zeitgiest computer system that appears cross when a child is ill"

"We feel victimised now with the constant flow of letters and the patronising meetings of concern for the above fiction(figures).
These meetings have no concern really for the factual (pupils) and the variables of the factual fitting in with the fiction only to scaremonger the parent ."

Maybe she'll turn out to be an excellent home-schooler and it will be the best thing for her daughter, but I hope in doesn't contain to much paranoia 

Caliga

From the sounds of that 'reasoning' her problems go beyond simple paranoia all the way to full-blown paranoid schizophrenia. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
From the sounds of that 'reasoning' her problems go beyond simple paranoia all the way to full-blown paranoid schizophrenia. :wacko:

Luckily I'm not a psychologist, so don't have an opinion, though coincidentally I have just been banned from their closed group, and she is one of the 3/4 admins. 

My take on it, is it has the makings of a cult, some of those characteristics are becoming apparent, well at least to me.

Neil

Isn't this Occupy London?  Isn't homeschooling the sort of thing that in Europe means you instantly get your children taken away due to your inability to not be fucking crazy?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Its a feedback cycle of victimhood.  Of course the crazy grows.
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
Isn't this Occupy London?  Isn't homeschooling the sort of thing that in Europe means you instantly get your children taken away due to your inability to not be fucking crazy?

Well here, I'm only talking about my local group; I never did get my head around all the factions within Occupy London, but this is quite an interesting article, can't quote the whole thing, as I promised the journalist I'd directly link to the original:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/13/occupy-london-what-went-wrong

Occupy London: what went wrong?

It gave a voice to the usually ignored, but Occupy's consensual model has seen it too often take the path of least resistance

John Harris
guardian.co.uk, Monday 13 February 2012 13.30 GMT

"The situation had degenerated to the point where capitulation was only a matter of time. The cellars and corridors were now running with rats, the students themselves were now filthy and lice-ridden. The free-wheeling and lawless atmosphere had become a magnet for every dope-dealer, whore, minor criminal and apolitical, gormless hippie in Paris."

So reads a passage from Andrew Hussey's biography of the late situationist, agitator and theorist Guy Debord, which describes the fag-end of 1968's legendary occupation of the Sorbonne. By some weird coincidence, I came across it on Thursday, on a tube ride following another visit to St Paul's Cathedral, where I beheld what has become of the Occupy camp. If you have seen any recent press coverage of its fate, you'll be familiar with the essential picture: the story is now seemingly one of decline, exhaustion and imminent defeat.

Definitely worth a read, as it's from someone who doesn't appear to have an axe to grind.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 07:45:14 PM

Only another crazy person would see reason in that non-sense.  If it wasn't that, she'd latch on to something else or make up something of her own.

Oh, and I'm not crazy enough to see any reason in that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017