News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2012, 10:01:18 PM
No, probably not. As such, Santorum will fight to the bitter end.

What's the angle here? He's putting in the hard work so it'll be his turn at some later, because that's how it works in the Republican party? Is it that he's working to keep the GOP in the direction he thinks is good by staying in as long as possible, forcing Romney to keep on the right? Is he hoping for a VP or administration nod? Or is it something else?

sbr

I think it's the first two about evenly split.

Razgovory

I think he may simply be insane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 10:30:59 PM
What's the angle here? He's putting in the hard work so it'll be his turn at some later, because that's how it works in the Republican party? Is it that he's working to keep the GOP in the direction he thinks is good by staying in as long as possible, forcing Romney to keep on the right? Is he hoping for a VP or administration nod? Or is it something else?
I can't imagine Santorum ever getting closer to the nomination than he is right now - especially considering that there will be more accomplished candidates in the race in 2016 (if Obama wins) or in 2020 (if Romney wins). I also don't think he would ever be given a post in a Romney administration - and especially not VP.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 10:30:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2012, 10:01:18 PM
No, probably not. As such, Santorum will fight to the bitter end.

I think he honestly believes he's on a crusade blessed by Teh Lord.

Admiral Yi

As long as you're raising enough money to fund the campaign and you're not interested in any future appointed positions, why not keep running? 

CountDeMoney

After all, the world must know about Romney's and Obama's federally funded $50 abortions.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 12:07:40 AM
As long as you're raising enough money to fund the campaign and you're not interested in any future appointed positions, why not keep running?

Well in Gingrich's case the campaign's in debt.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

QuoteWhat's the angle here? He's putting in the hard work so it'll be his turn at some later, because that's how it works in the Republican party? Is it that he's working to keep the GOP in the direction he thinks is good by staying in as long as possible, forcing Romney to keep on the right? Is he hoping for a VP or administration nod? Or is it something else?
Well his only chance is to take this to a brokered convention.  He's no longer trying not to lose but simply to stop Romney winning - which I think can last for a few more primaries.

But also I think he hates Romney.  Everyone who runs against Romney, with the exception of Ron Paul (and as I've said I suspect Rand could be a VP nom), ends up hating him.  This happened last election when a large part of why Huck kept running was just because he wanted to beat Romney into third place.

And, unlike Gingrich, I think Santorum comes out of this race with his status enhanced.  He's probably partly running for that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 12:11:44 AM
After all, the world must know about Romney's and Obama's federally funded $50 abortions.

That's a hell of a deal.  I'll take ten.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Marco Rubio would be an interesting VP choice.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 01:19:08 AM
Marco Rubio would be an interesting VP choice.
I think he's the presumptive.  But his family are (were?) Mormon so that may end that.  Personally I think it'd be a bad choice for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

You mean like Kilmer rather than Moore?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2012, 01:22:51 AM
I think he's the presumptive.  But his family are (were?) Mormon so that may end that.  Personally I think it'd be a bad choice for him.

No shit, didn't know that.

Other than that he would bring a lot.  Minority, street cred with the Ice-T Party, elected in a swing state with lots of electoral votes, and from what I've seen he's not a complete moron.