And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 01:50:41 AM
No shit, didn't know that.
I think they converted to mainstream evangelical Protestantism when he was young.  But even so it may count against him.

QuoteOther than that he would bring a lot.  Minority, street cred with the Ice-T Party, elected in a swing state with lots of electoral votes, and from what I've seen he's not a complete moron.
Agree.  He's got star quality too.  He's a very good speaker.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quite frankly, I honestly expected Santorum to win in Wisconsin.  Badgers have been going insane the last two years.

The gubernatorial recall election in June ought to be a complete hoot.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 05:38:41 AM
Quite frankly, I honestly expected Santorum to win in Wisconsin.  Badgers have been going insane the last two years.
What's extraordinary is that in the NYT's exit poll almost a quarter think that Santorum's not conservative enough :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2012, 05:43:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 05:38:41 AM
What's extraordinary is that in the NYT's exit poll almost a quarter think that Santorum's not conservative enough :mellow:

Yeah, Wisconsin's Republicans seem to have really gone off the rails recently.  I don't get it.

Caliga

You've gotta figure that a certain percentage of the general public that gets included in exit polls includes old people with dementia and profoundly dumb people, neither of which understand the question(s).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 01:19:08 AM
Marco Rubio would be an interesting VP choice.

I think he already said he's not interested.  I think Ron Paul is a possibility.  Help lock up the pothead/militia vote.  I think his best choice though would be some kind of cultural conservative woman.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Mitt needs an evangelical christian with bona fides. He needs somebody that will make the pastors in the many evangelical mega churches want to encourage their flock to vote.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Nothing extraordinary in that.  Other than being a Neanderthal on social policy, Santorum's record is not that of an arch-conservative.  He keeps claiming that he is 'the real conservative," but so does everyone else, so that doesn't make him very conservative by itself.  His inability to make the stump case for actually being a conservative leaves his record to speak authoritatively on the topic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Well in my book he is not Conservative at all, at least not in the good ways.  The guy has never found a spending bill he didn't like and the only ways he is right wing is in the way he wants laws passed to regulate people's behavior.  So basically the guy is big brother personified. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 08:29:54 AM
Well in my book he is not Conservative at all, at least not in the good ways.  The guy has never found a spending bill he didn't like and the only ways he is right wing is in the way he wants laws passed to regulate people's behavior.  So basically the guy is big brother personified. 

Pretty much agree.  He's socially conservative for sure, but that's not the kind of conservative we need right now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Mitt used the term "straw man" today re: Obama.

He has failed the Languish Litmus Test for argument.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 01:02:37 PM
Mitt used the term "straw man" today re: Obama.

He has failed the Languish Litmus Test for argument.

And that's without getting into all the ad hominems 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 10:30:59 PM
What's the angle here?

He may just be really bad at math.  That's an occupational hazard for a strident anti-science ideologue.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Obama gives speech attacking Romney and Ryan plan:  http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/obama-attacks-romney-republican-party-in-fiery-budget-speech.php

Transcript: http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012/04/obama_hits_romney_congressiona.html

Obama consistently comes across as an adult who makes sense, but then I guess I'd say that.

Admiral Yi

One of the hallmarks of adulthood is dealing with problems instead of hoping they go away.