News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 28, 2009, 03:10:25 PM
Guess the behavior that Vince was talking about does cross party lines, since the Blue Dogs' and Lieberman's disagreements with the Democrats were relatively minor. ;)
Liberman has been talked to death already, so I won't touch it.  However, I disagree that Blue Dogs' disagreements with Democrats are relatively minor.  On many issues, especially social ones, the disagreements are rather fundamental. 

There is also another major difference between RINOs and Blue Dogs: RINOs are looked upon as traitors by Republicans, while Blue Dogs are supported by Democrats as the most favorable compromise in hostile states or districts.  Democrats are smart enough to realize that having to compromise with Blue Dogs is much better than having to compromise with Republicans (although there are some game-theoretic advantages to the Republican hardcore approach as well).

Berkut

DG is not nearly as much fun with a Dem in the White House. :(
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

QuoteSnowe: GOP Has Abandoned Principles; Specter Switch "Devastating"

Snowe: GOP Has Abandoned Principles; Specter Switch "Devastating"
Posted on April 28, 2009 by The Huffington Post News Team.

Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine, one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in the Senate, said Tuesday that Arlen Specter's abandonment of the GOP is "devastating," both "personally and I think for the party."

"I've always been deeply concerned about the views of the Republican Party nationally in terms of their exclusionary policies and views towards moderate Republicans," said Snowe, who has been approached, she said, by Democrats in the past about switching parties.

Specter's switch to the Democratic Party "underscores the blunt reality" that the GOP is not a welcome place for moderates, she said.

So far, she said, she's staying put. "I believe in the traditional tenets of the Republican Party: strong national defense, fiscal responsibility, individual opportunity. I haven't abandoned those principles that have been the essence of the Republican Party. I think the Republican Party has abandoned those principles.

She added that being a Republican is simply part of who she is. "It's my ethnic heritage, Spartan side, that continues to fight," she said.

http://www.alternet.org/wire/12/snowegophasabandonedprinciplesspecterswitchdevastating

This is interesting, if true. Snow's basically bitching out the GOP for the issue, and seems to be implying that she might consider switching parties.

fhdz

Snowe's a badass.  Would that she'd have run instead of the emasculated McCain.
and the horse you rode in on

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:27:19 PM
So Specter would have won the general, but could not have won the primary?

If that is the case, I withdraw my objection - mea culpa.

Yeah, and Specter has also fucked the Democrats, all things considered.  Specter was going to lose the primary and let Toomey lose the general election, meaning a first-class Democrat would have had the seat.

Now it's going to be the DINO-Specter version, unless he shifts far left (which does happen; Jeffords became a very liberal Democrat after switching out of the Republican party).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
In favor of some other Republican though. It isn't like Specter The Republican was going to win the general election anyway, right?
He had a better chance than Pat Toomie.  The problem is if the Republicans want to have Senators in places like Pennsylvania then they're going to be moderate and often annoying to the party.  I think it's dangerous for a party to be too pure.

So I actually like Senators who are, I think, centrists from conviction.  The Nelsons and Snowes and Specters are, I think, very good if you're not to have the Senate turn into a parliamentary chamber.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Specter is a slow-talking old geezer at age 79! I surely hope that I will not think that I am that cool that I still need to be working crazy hours and pulling crazy stunts like this at that age. :o

Sheilbh

Reading his wiki I actually, generally, quite like his positions.  I think on most domestic issues he's roughly where I would be if I were an American.  I think they're not very congruent with the Republican party, though I think they were moreso in 1980 when he was first elected.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Snowe switching would certainly invalidate her principles of strong national defense, fiscal responsibility and individual opportunity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 03:57:41 PM
QuoteSnowe: GOP Has Abandoned Principles; Specter Switch "Devastating"

Snowe: GOP Has Abandoned Principles; Specter Switch "Devastating"
Posted on April 28, 2009 by The Huffington Post News Team.

Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine, one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in the Senate, said Tuesday that Arlen Specter's abandonment of the GOP is "devastating," both "personally and I think for the party."

"I've always been deeply concerned about the views of the Republican Party nationally in terms of their exclusionary policies and views towards moderate Republicans," said Snowe, who has been approached, she said, by Democrats in the past about switching parties.

Specter's switch to the Democratic Party "underscores the blunt reality" that the GOP is not a welcome place for moderates, she said.

So far, she said, she's staying put. "I believe in the traditional tenets of the Republican Party: strong national defense, fiscal responsibility, individual opportunity. I haven't abandoned those principles that have been the essence of the Republican Party. I think the Republican Party has abandoned those principles.

She added that being a Republican is simply part of who she is. "It's my ethnic heritage, Spartan side, that continues to fight," she said.

http://www.alternet.org/wire/12/snowegophasabandonedprinciplesspecterswitchdevastating

This is interesting, if true. Snow's basically bitching out the GOP for the issue, and seems to be implying that she might consider switching parties.

I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.

fhdz

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 28, 2009, 05:15:27 PM
I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.

Hyperbolemeister! To the Hyperbole Cave!
and the horse you rode in on

Neil

Is there any US Congressman who could actually be considered fiscally responsible?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

c'mon, ethnically Spartan?

they gotta ban "300" from the Senate DVD rental shop.
humans were created in their own image

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 05:18:01 PM
Is there any US Congressman who could actually be considered fiscally responsible?

Out of 535, you'd think at least one or two maybe. Probably not though.  <_<
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2009, 04:27:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
In favor of some other Republican though. It isn't like Specter The Republican was going to win the general election anyway, right?
He had a better chance than Pat Toomie.  The problem is if the Republicans want to have Senators in places like Pennsylvania then they're going to be moderate and often annoying to the party.  I think it's dangerous for a party to be too pure.

So I actually like Senators who are, I think, centrists from conviction.  The Nelsons and Snowes and Specters are, I think, very good if you're not to have the Senate turn into a parliamentary chamber.

Pennsylvania isn't that liberal of a place: they did get Rick Santorum elected to a couple of terms there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014