And we're back!

Main Menu

Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 07:48:41 AM
When Franken is confirmed, they will have the 60 votes. :contract:

Hilariously, Olbermann and the she beast Maddow were ranting that because Specter, Bayh and Bill Nelson won't automatically vote for closure, they are VERY BAD PEOPLE.

This is how it sounded last night on TV:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2009, 07:52:10 AM

Hilariously, Olbermann and the she beast Maddow were ranting that because Specter, Bayh and Bill Nelson won't automatically vote for closure, they are VERY BAD PEOPLE.

This is how it sounded last night on TV:

Must have been a scary evening of tv viewing for you....    :(

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Al Franken as a US Senator.

How fucking screwed up is that? Maybe we could elect Barney to Congress while we are at it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 08:09:56 AMAl Franken as a US Senator.

How fucking screwed up is that? Maybe we could elect Barney to Congress while we are at it.

I've been rooting for Al simply because he'll be another political figure I've met. :smoke:

Is he real liberal, or a moderate, or what?  :)

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 08:11:03 AM

I've been rooting for Al simply because he'll be another political figure I've met. :smoke:

He is a loony left/moveon liberal, I think.

I don't care about that as much as I care about the fact that he is yet another celebrity pol, and in this case, one who is a celebrity for being a rather goofy ass comedian. Which he is actually pretty decent at.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2009, 04:27:48 PM
So I actually like Senators who are, I think, centrists from conviction.  The Nelsons and Snowes and Specters are, I think, very good if you're not to have the Senate turn into a parliamentary chamber.

:yes: The moderates are the ones who realize that there are pros and cons to their ideologies, and that sometimes, compromise is necessary.

The day that Congress becomes fully polarized along party lines is the day it breaks, IMO.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 08:12:40 AM
I don't care about that as much as I care about the fact that he is yet another celebrity pol, and in this case, one who is a celebrity for being a rather goofy ass comedian. Which he is actually pretty decent at.

:yes:  :mad:

I mean, did the Romans ever anoint their gladiators as Emper.... er... O SNAP.  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: KRonn on April 29, 2009, 08:00:55 AM

Must have been a scary evening of tv viewing for you....    :(

I'd watch a few seconds, then flip to the Rangers-Caps game. So my exposure was limited.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 08:26:16 AM
I mean, did the Romans ever anoint their gladiators as Emper.... er... O SNAP.  :(
It's not like the Romans were a true civilized people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 29, 2009, 08:47:22 AM

This is true.  European civilization could only start when Rome collapsed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 08:11:03 AM

He is a loony left/moveon liberal, I think.

Isn't Franken a pretty polarizing figure? He was host of Air America, and from what I've heard he was at best the lefty equivalent of Rush Limbaugh, without all the charm.  ;) But he is pretty much the left wing, moveon.org type, right? I have to wonder if Minnesotans are happy now, given what's been going on already with Congress being so one sided. Most people tend to want some balance, and aren't so ideological as to want the left or right side running rough shod.

The Larch

:yes:  :mad:

They still maintain that proud tradition, Berlusconi wants to include female celebrities and models on his party's list for the European Parliament elections.  :P

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6150318.ece

Viking

Quote from: Neil on April 29, 2009, 08:47:22 AM

I know a Corvus Quinquireme isn't quite a dreadnaught... but.. come on
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Phillip V

When is Franken likely to be seated?