Media self-censorship on the migrant crime issue

Started by Slargos, April 30, 2009, 06:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

I've read conspiratory references to an agreement in the press corps during the 80s where a set of guidelines were concluded in order to frame the problems of immigration in a less negative light IE lie lie and lie some more.

Of course, it's hard to talk about something like this without coming across as a tinfoil hatted cook, but today I discovered a nice little gem, from the Göteborg newspaper "ethical guidelines for employees":

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=721&a=111847#tolv

QuoteFundamental to the ethical pressure setting in the link ethnic background, and crime is that the media voluntarily committed to a kind of social responsibility. By failing to indicate that criminals are immigrants, or their nationality, is to counter xenophobic and racist tendencies in society.

Slargos

Susanna Popova: If we tie ... Thomas, you and I were both on, in the late 80s, at a conference for journalists, which seriously discussed whether it was time to take the lid for the reporting of crime among immigrants, or if cap would be on.

Thomas Gür: Mm, mm, mm.

Susanna Popova: This is another part ...

Thomas Gür: My view was well that the conference was just you and me who felt that taking the lid while everyone else thought it was really dangerous to ... highlight of this.

Susanna Popova: It is my memory, too
[/t][/t][/t][/l]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbRHdMoq-A

Video is, alas, in Swedish.  :D

[/td][/tr][/table]

Malthus

The usual way this issue is framed is that there is a concern that the media will announce the race and/or origin of a criminal or suspect in some cases (i.e., where the criminal or suspect is Black, Muslim and/or an immigrant), but not in all (i.e., will see no need to announce that a criminal is White, Christian and/or not an immigrant). This leads to the association in people's minds with certain ethnicities or status and criminality.

But there is certainly an effort to avoid fueling racial concerns. Here in Toronto, for example, a highly disproportinate proportion of the most sensational sorts of violent gun crimes are committed by Jamacans, but the media is generally wary of pointing this out, though it is pretty well known. Jamaca has it would seem a particularly violent criminal class, some of whom have moved here.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

similarly, in Saskatchewan is Cree, and in Vancouver it's often Sikh or Chinese.

the media don't publish race, but they do publish names. So it's easy to figure out.

however, they also don't publish income, which might be more instructive, as broad socio-economic status remains one of the best, if not the best, indicators.
humans were created in their own image

Slargos

Quote from: saskganesh on April 30, 2009, 08:33:48 AM
similarly, in Saskatchewan is Cree, and in Vancouver it's often Sikh or Chinese.

the media don't publish race, but they do publish names. So it's easy to figure out.

however, they also don't publish income, which might be more instructive, as broad socio-economic status remains one of the best, if not the best, indicators.

Funnily, in a high-profile case here a few years back with the savage beating and rape of two girls done by a group of highly excitable youths, they were labelled

Dennis, 17, Swedish Citizen
Erik, 16, Finnish Citizen
etc etc

Turns out they were actually Mohammed, Iqbal and so on and so forth, yet the explanation was that "Well, we didn't want to publish their real names and Dennis is a name that exists in many countries other than Sweden." [we weren't attempting to turn this into a "heh, swedes gangrape too!!" article]

On the socio-economic status argument, a recent report stated in no uncertain terms that REGARDLESS of socio-economic status, immigrants were still overrepresented.

Some myths are hard to kill, however.

Unfortunately for the kinds of people who think it is their duty to "educate" the population, the advent of the internet will make their lies far more difficult.  :)

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2009, 07:59:16 AM
The usual way this issue is framed is that there is a concern that the media will announce the race and/or origin of a criminal or suspect in some cases (i.e., where the criminal or suspect is Black, Muslim and/or an immigrant), but not in all (i.e., will see no need to announce that a criminal is White, Christian and/or not an immigrant). This leads to the association in people's minds with certain ethnicities or status and criminality.

But there is certainly an effort to avoid fueling racial concerns. Here in Toronto, for example, a highly disproportinate proportion of the most sensational sorts of violent gun crimes are committed by Jamacans, but the media is generally wary of pointing this out, though it is pretty well known. Jamaca has it would seem a particularly violent criminal class, some of whom have moved here.

A valid concern.

When an entire nation has been changed virtually over night without the hint of a public debate over whether we really WANT the complete dissolution of the nation-state, and the large media outlets are actively attempting to whitewash the downsides of what's happening, it starts looking pretty fucking sinister.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

The opposite may also happen with less than scrupulous media. In the recent gipsy scare in Italy, some crimes were adscribed directly to Romanians when the suspect was gipsy, when in many ocasions they were Italian nationals, even after protests from the Romanian embassy over the reporting.

Slargos

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on April 30, 2009, 08:50:05 AM

Funnily, in a high-profile case here a few years back with the savage beating and rape of two girls done by a group of highly excitable youths, they were labelled

Dennis, 17, Swedish Citizen
Erik, 16, Finnish Citizen
etc etc

Turns out they were actually Mohammed, Iqbal and so on and so forth, yet the explanation was that "Well, we didn't want to publish their real names and Dennis is a name that exists in many countries other than Sweden." [we weren't attempting to turn this into a "heh, swedes gangrape too!!" article]

Lest you forget, you fucking hippies.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2009, 07:59:16 AM

Boycott Jamaica.  <_<