Main Menu

Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2009, 12:17:17 PM
Steele didn't pull any punches:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_specter_switch

QuoteRepublican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele said in a statement: "Some in the Republican Party are happy about this. I am not. Let's be honest: Senator Specter didn't leave the GOP based on principles of any kind. He left to further his personal political interests because he knew that he was going to lose a Republican primary due to his left-wing voting record. Republicans look forward to beating Sen. Specter in 2010, assuming the Democrats don't do it first."

Now that's a guy I'm suprised has kept his job.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Vince

Caliga

Actually this makes perfect sense to me.  Specter is a RINO (has been for quite some time) and represents a state that has been trending increasingly Democratic for quite some time now.  I know he did it in the short-term to avoid losing the primary, but he should be a Democrat anyway based on his personal philosophies.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Filibuster-proof. :yeah:

Another blow to the irrelephants. :P

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2009, 01:32:49 PM
irrelephants

Really?  Did you really just type that out and hit "Post"?
and the horse you rode in on

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 11:53:13 AM

Who is this "they"?

Did all the republicans get together and vote have Specter switch?

"They" are the majority of republicans that were apparently about to vote him off their ticket.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2009, 01:32:49 PM
Filibuster-proof. :yeah:

Not really.  Trying to get Specter and Nelson to vote for cloture is still going to be a pain in the ass whether Specter is wearing the (R) jersey or the (D) jersey.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2009, 11:58:09 AM

Not as significant as is hyped, IMO.  Not all Democrats will always vote with their party, especially on more liberal issues, and there are several Republicans (including Specter) who have sided with Democrats in the past few months.

I would say: significant. Spector is now going to have to establish a liberal enough voting record to survive a democratic primary if he wants to make it to a general election. There is no way he will win a primary if he votes against cap and trade, universal health care, and card check.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 01:40:06 PM

Who is this "they"?

"They" are the majority of republicans that were apparently about to vote him off their ticket.

In favor of some other Republican though. It isn't like Specter The Republican was going to win the general election anyway, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 01:40:06 PM

Who is this "they"?

In favor of some other Republican though. It isn't like Specter The Republican was going to win the general election anyway, right?

Specter the Republican could have won the general election.  Specter had really good numbers among Independents and Democrats, so just consolidating the Republicans a bit would have put him over the top.

Toomey the Republican was not going to win the general election.

"Voters approve 52 - 33 percent of the job Specter is doing, with a 71 - 16 percent positive score from Democrats and a 41 - 37 percent boost from independent voters, off-setting a 52 - 36 percent disapproval from Republicans."
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1327.xml?ReleaseID=1280

alfred russel

From what I read, Spector was a favorite to win the general election if he won the primary.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 01:45:13 PM
I would say: significant. Spector is now going to have to establish a liberal enough voting record to survive a democratic primary if he wants to make it to a general election. There is no way he will win a primary if he votes against cap and trade, universal health care, and card check.
Didn't the Democrats promise no primary challenge in exchange for the switch?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2009, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 01:45:13 PM
Didn't the Democrats promise no primary challenge in exchange for the switch?

I don't know, I just saw the headline.

saskganesh

RINO? what's that stand for?

heh. "irrelephant" is a good word.

animal time!
humans were created in their own image

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on