Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on April 28, 2009, 01:50:46 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 01:40:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 11:53:13 AM

Who is this "they"?

Did all the republicans get together and vote have Specter switch?

"They" are the majority of republicans that were apparently about to vote him off their ticket.

In favor of some other Republican though. It isn't like Specter The Republican was going to win the general election anyway, right?

Specter the Republican could have won the general election.  Specter had really good numbers among Independents and Democrats, so just consolidating the Republicans a bit would have put him over the top.

Toomey the Republican was not going to win the general election.

"Voters approve 52 - 33 percent of the job Specter is doing, with a 71 - 16 percent positive score from Democrats and a 41 - 37 percent boost from independent voters, off-setting a 52 - 36 percent disapproval from Republicans."
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1327.xml?ReleaseID=1280

So Specter would have won the general, but could not have won the primary?

If that is the case, I withdraw my objection - mea culpa.

The republicans (at least some of them) are in fact dumbasses. And I applaud Specter for making them pay for their dumbassedness.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Hansmeister

Well, he voted with the democrats most of the time anyway, so it's no great loss.  How does having somebody represent your party who rejects every single principled position of that party help?  Specter is no Lieberman who only had a disagreement with his party on a single issue, Specter disagreed with the GOP on virtually every issue.

I doubt Specter will win in 2010, his vote for the porkulus will kill him.  We will have substantially higher unemployment next year than this year, with massive budget deficits and a poor economy, which will result in a blood bath at the polls.  A narcissistic 30-year Senator like Snarlin' Arlen is exactly what people will revolt against.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Vince

Quote from: fahdiz on April 28, 2009, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 02:25:47 PM
RINO? what's that stand for?

Republican In Name Only.

It drives me nuts when I hear that term because it's usually referring to moderate northeast GOP members.  A lot of the conservative base in the Republican party can't seem to wrap they're heads around the fact that they can't win up here with their policy views.  The more conservative they get the more they're going to alienate non-base Republicans.

saskganesh

Vince you must be one of the "unamericans" I often read about.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Vince on April 28, 2009, 02:49:54 PM
It drives me nuts when I hear that term because it's usually referring to moderate northeast GOP members.  A lot of the conservative base in the Republican party can't seem to wrap they're heads around the fact that they can't win up here with their policy views.  The more conservative they get the more they're going to alienate non-base Republicans.
Is this term used by the Republican base?  I've only heard it here used by Democratic party cadres.

DGuller

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 02:42:07 PM
ok. there must be DINOS out there for balance.
We call them Blue Dogs these days.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2009, 02:56:23 PM
Is this term used by the Republican base?  I've only heard it here used by Democratic party cadres.

A quick google search indicates that yes, at least the Republican blogosphere is rather fond of calling folks RINOs.
and the horse you rode in on

Vince

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2009, 02:56:23 PM
I think it's used much more often by Hans types than it is used by Democrats.  Democrats prefer to call them "moderate Republicans", for obvious reasons.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

saskganesh

DontSayBanana

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 03:00:44 PM
heh. innerresting.
Guess the behavior that Vince was talking about does cross party lines, since the Blue Dogs' and Lieberman's disagreements with the Democrats were relatively minor. ;)

@Hans: Interesting, and not something that I would have expected, but now that it's occurring, I'm not surprised. Specter was not unconditionally for the stimulus; he took the time to publicize his grievances with the legislation, but he voted for it as the lesser of two evils, and at that point, the Republicans really set this into motion, since they started issuing ultimatums that it was the responsibility of every Republican to block Obama's fiscal agenda.
Experience bij!

ulmont

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.