Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 08:26:16 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 08:12:40 AM
I don't care about that as much as I care about the fact that he is yet another celebrity pol, and in this case, one who is a celebrity for being a rather goofy ass comedian. Which he is actually pretty decent at.

:yes:  :mad:

I mean, did the Romans ever anoint their gladiators as Emper.... er... O SNAP.  :(

The Romans had emperors that also entertained as gladiators, we will have a senator that also entertained as Stuart Smalley. But then the Romans crumbled as their territory was militarily overrun, while our global standing has been undermined by our militarism.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Phillip V on April 29, 2009, 12:29:58 PM
When is Franken likely to be seated?
Whenever the judge gets around to throwing out Coleman's frivolous suit.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Viking on April 29, 2009, 12:03:46 PM
I know a Corvus Quinquireme isn't quite a dreadnaught... but.. come on
Just because they were organized doesn't mean they're civilized.  Slavs are organized, but they're still barbarians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on April 29, 2009, 10:01:51 PM
Just because they were organized doesn't mean they're civilized.  Slavs are organized, but they're still barbarians.
:contract: Not pointing any fingers, but look at several Scots clans composed of settled Norwegians. :P
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Weatherman

Hansmeister

Quote from: fahdiz on April 28, 2009, 05:17:23 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 28, 2009, 05:15:27 PM
I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.

Hyperbolemeister! To the Hyperbole Cave!

Really?  Does that mean you can show me a more fiscally irresponsible bill?  I dare you to try.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2009, 05:35:57 PM
I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.
She opposed spending increase for most of the time the GOP ran the Senate, as well as the Bush tax cuts because, like McCain, she didn't think they were adequately funded.  As far as I can tell she's only really been keen on spending when there's a global economic crisis.  I think she's in a better position to discuss fiscal responsibility than most Republican Senators who supported very large amounts spending so long as they were in power.

Nope, she's never been known to oppose spending, only to oppose tax cuts.  Hence, she's a typical tax and spend liberal.

Now I don't dislike Snowe or Collins, because at least they are usually quite honest about where they come from.  Specter has long had a reputation as a backstabber, which is why there is even a lot of grumbling on the left about his entirely self-serving switch.  I predict he'll be defeated in the primary by a left-wing democrat.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2009, 11:16:52 PM

You were the guy telling me how ignorant I was for opposing budget deficits during the Bush years because they were temporary.  Yeah real fucking temporary now eh Hans?

Even better we are in a major economic melt down so now there is actually a logical reason for deficit spending...

and now you are fucking suddenly opposed to them.  It has nothing to do with the other guys being in power right?  Do not even try to pull that fiscal responsible shit on me.  As soon as your guys are back in power you will be on here telling me how deficits are fine since economic growth is a certainty with your magical tax cut bullet.

Oh please, you're full of shit.  I was always against deficit spending, my only point was that as long as deficits do not exceed economic growth it is manageable since it doesn't increase the debt ratio.  Indeed, the debt ration decreased during Bush's presidency from 43 to 41 percent.

Funny, how me saying that a $300 billion deficit isn't too worrysome, but now being outraged at a $2 trillion deficit somehow makes me a hypocrit, while you being outraged about a $300 billion deficit, but now blase about a $2 trillion deficit is somehow ok.  Spare me your fake bullshit outrage, fucktard.

Weatherman

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 29, 2009, 10:36:50 PM
Now I don't dislike Snowe or Collins, because at least they are usually quite honest about where they come from.  Specter has long had a reputation as a backstabber, which is why there is even a lot of grumbling on the left about his entirely self-serving switch.  I predict he'll be defeated in the primary by a left-wing democrat.

That is certainly possible, though the national party has promised to back Specter.

One thing I've heard from several conservative commentators is that he should have done like Liebermann. That would never have worked. Liebermann won because he was in a safe blue state and the Republicans put up token opposition, thus most of the Republicans and independents voted for Liebermann. Specter is in a purple state and would face strong opposition from both sides and get squeezed. (Someone posted earlier that he could not run as an independent anyway, but I think he could get around that).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

As long as Phil Spector doesn't follow suit, I can't say I'm too concerned.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Hansmeister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2009, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 29, 2009, 10:36:50 PM

That is certainly possible, though the national party has promised to back Specter.

One thing I've heard from several conservative commentators is that he should have done like Liebermann. That would never have worked. Liebermann won because he was in a safe blue state and the Republicans put up token opposition, thus most of the Republicans and independents voted for Liebermann. Specter is in a purple state and would face strong opposition from both sides and get squeezed. (Someone posted earlier that he could not run as an independent anyway, but I think he could get around that).

Indeed.  the best solution would've been to retire after serving 30 years, but that would've required some amount of character, which is obviously absent.