Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on November 21, 2011, 12:54:49 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/wall_street_cra_pad_s31YWPjPTt0TYuxLGnu7IK

QuoteOccupy Wall Street protesters stay at $700-a-night hotel

By CANDICE M. GIOVE

Last Updated: 12:25 PM, November 20, 2011

Posted: 12:06 AM, November 20, 2011

Hell no, we won't go — unless we get goose down pillows.

A key Occupy Wall Street leader and another protester who leads a double life as a businessman ditched fetid tents and church basements for rooms at a luxurious hotel that promises guests can "unleash [their] inner Gordon Gekko," The Post has learned.

The $700-per-night W Hotel Downtown last week hosted both Peter Dutro, one of a select few OWS members on the powerful finance committee, and Brad Spitzer, a California-based analyst who not only secretly took part in protests during a week-long business trip but offered shelter to protesters in his swanky platinum-card room.

and he basically OWS movement treasurer with access to $500.000 in donations. No wonder that they refuse to have open books and tell how the money is spend...

Yeah, you're right, anytime anyone spends money it obviously means that they are embezzling money.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 21, 2011, 05:39:05 AMYeah, you're right, anytime anyone spends money it obviously means that they are embezzling money.

I don't see why concepts of social justice have to be mutually exclusive of concepts of nice hotels.  Especially when you're earning Starwood points.

Besides, he's paying room taxes on that hotel room at W Downtown.  Starwood got a $14 million tax break on Federal taxes for their rooms overseas and a break for $49 million in real estate transaction income in 2009.

And they're going to bust his balls for staying in a hotel room?

garbon

I guess it is nice that a man with money attempts solidarity with the self-labelled peons?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/wall_street_cra_pad_s31YWPjPTt0TYuxLGnu7IK

QuoteOccupy Wall Street protesters stay at $700-a-night hotel

By CANDICE M. GIOVE

Last Updated: 12:25 PM, November 20, 2011

Posted: 12:06 AM, November 20, 2011

Hell no, we won't go — unless we get goose down pillows.

A key Occupy Wall Street leader and another protester who leads a double life as a businessman ditched fetid tents and church basements for rooms at a luxurious hotel that promises guests can "unleash [their] inner Gordon Gekko," The Post has learned.

The $700-per-night W Hotel Downtown last week hosted both Peter Dutro, one of a select few OWS members on the powerful finance committee, and Brad Spitzer, a California-based analyst who not only secretly took part in protests during a week-long business trip but offered shelter to protesters in his swanky platinum-card room.

and he basically OWS movement treasurer with access to $500.000 in donations. No wonder that they refuse to have open books and tell how the money is spend...

Well, that is the New York Post...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

How can such a disparate movement have a treasurer? :mellow:

Also that's a Murdoch tab, I'd probably handle it with a bit of care on this sort of subject.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Did the UC-Davis pepper spray incident miss this thread, or did it get its own?

"From Davis to Greece, fuck the police!"  :swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Speaking of the police, here's a retired Phila. police captain getting arrested:

"I've had a lot of proud moments in my life, a lot of proud moments in my career. But when I had those handcuffs on and was being marched over there with the other protesters in solidarity, that was the proudest moment of my life."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2011, 11:05:59 PM
Speaking of the police, here's a retired Phila. police captain getting arrested:

"I've had a lot of proud moments in my life, a lot of proud moments in my career. But when I had those handcuffs on and was being marched over there with the other protesters in solidarity, that was the proudest moment of my life."

That's sad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2011, 11:04:03 PM

Why would this be significant?  Isn't pepper-spraying malcontents a huge part of what the police are there for?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2011, 11:07:48 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2011, 11:05:59 PM

That's sad.

Real solidarity is a powerful feeling.  If you're lucky enough to experience it once, I can imagine it might be life-defining.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2011, 11:10:16 PM

Why would this be significant?  Isn't pepper-spraying malcontents a huge part of what the police are there for?

Well the video is a bit shocking. That said - isn't Davis one of the least important UCs?

Sheilbh

I've got huge problems with American/Euro style policing.  This and the NY traffic case are examples why.  On the other hand I think it's a cultural difference - like having guns - that I just won't ever get so there's not much of use to say.

But more widely with all police forces the worst will also hit minority groups a lot harder because it's unfortunately more tolerated.  I think that creates a problem for necessary police reform because it's seen as a minority issue.  In the UK there's problems with the police handle protests and the Independent Police Complaints Commission - in 10 years, with 400 deaths in custody or in police shootings there's not been one conviction, as the Economist says either they don't deserve the I or it should stand for incompetent.  But I don't think those issues or stop and search will be addressed until they cause serious problems.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2011, 11:11:10 PM
Real solidarity is a powerful feeling.  If you're lucky enough to experience it once, I can imagine it might be life-defining.

Which is why I find it sad that he felt it at this particular time.