Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on November 18, 2011, 08:22:10 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 07:05:13 PMThe traditional "closed shop", where a person has to be a member of the union in order to be hired,  has been illegal natiionwide for decades (with some exceptions in specialized industries and trades).

Ironically, the closed shop survives in white collar occupations.  You try being a lawyer without joining the State Bar, for example...

It seems Ide is doing that right now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2011, 08:59:07 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 07:05:13 PMThe traditional "closed shop", where a person has to be a member of the union in order to be hired,  has been illegal natiionwide for decades (with some exceptions in specialized industries and trades).

Ironically, the closed shop survives in white collar occupations.  You try being a lawyer without joining the State Bar, for example...

Ide is eating a bag of Reese Cups right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

He doesn't have the guts to try the Reese's Bar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Ide has a law degree, but he isn't a lawyer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Ironically, the Bar Association isn't a union. 

Neil

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 09:32:21 PM
It's a conspiracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Looking it up union shops are also banned.  I think you can be required to contribute something but you can't be required to join a union.  But even that's apparently rare.
Let's bomb Russia!

ulmont

The Bar takes your dues, lobbies for you, and has a system in place to settle disputes between you and third parties.  It's a union.  The former AFL-CIO head here described it as "the best union in the state."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2011, 10:56:34 PM
Looking it up union shops are also banned.  I think you can be required to contribute something but you can't be required to join a union.  But even that's apparently rare.

My father was fucked over because he was hired on for a job, but the union refused to give him a membership, so he couldn't get the job.

Fuck unions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Administrative law. :contract:

At least in Jersey, the Bar membership is only required to provide legal services "to the public."  Since we don't tend to consider the government "the public," one can theoretically work as an administrative lawyer in NJ without being a member of the Bar association. :smarty:
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on November 18, 2011, 11:08:48 PM

The Bar takes your dues, lobbies for you, and has a system in place to settle disputes between you and third parties.  It's a union.  The former AFL-CIO head here described it as "the best union in the state."
Technically it's a guild, not a union.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 09:05:25 PM
Ide has a law degree, but he isn't a lawyer.

Correct.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2011, 10:56:34 PM

Indeed. I in fact worked for a union shop, and opted out of the union but was required to pay all the dues - everything, in fact, except for the $4 a month that went to the union's political action committee. I was the recipient of all the union's collective bargaining, etc but could not vote in the union elections.
and the horse you rode in on

Mr.Penguin

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/wall_street_cra_pad_s31YWPjPTt0TYuxLGnu7IK

QuoteOccupy Wall Street protesters stay at $700-a-night hotel

By CANDICE M. GIOVE

Last Updated: 12:25 PM, November 20, 2011

Posted: 12:06 AM, November 20, 2011

Hell no, we won't go — unless we get goose down pillows.

A key Occupy Wall Street leader and another protester who leads a double life as a businessman ditched fetid tents and church basements for rooms at a luxurious hotel that promises guests can "unleash [their] inner Gordon Gekko," The Post has learned.

The $700-per-night W Hotel Downtown last week hosted both Peter Dutro, one of a select few OWS members on the powerful finance committee, and Brad Spitzer, a California-based analyst who not only secretly took part in protests during a week-long business trip but offered shelter to protesters in his swanky platinum-card room.

and he basically OWS movement treasurer with access to $500.000 in donations. No wonder that they refuse to have open books and tell how the money is spend...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers