Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 02:21:29 PM
I earlier reported about my concern for my favourite food cart that used to be set up very near where the occupiers are now doing whatever it is they do.  The cart was forced to move because business had dropped and he was faced with constant harrassment from the protestors.

He was on the news last night along with other food cart owners in the area.  They report business is down about 70% as foot traffic has essentially died in this area (whereas it had been a central foot traffic area).  Some may go out of business if this keeps up.

Way to stand up for the 99%!

There was that story here about the deli that had to lay of 25 workers because of business being down - same thing on the foot traffic bit.  Protestors here said it was the fault of police presence and barricades, not them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2011, 04:31:14 PM
For whom and why?  Why wouldn't or shouldn't labor support the left?

For the unions.  I think it's becoming apparent that the principle goal of Occupy is protest for the sake of protest, confrontation for the sake of confrontation.  If I were the head of a union, realizing that the position of my members--and by extension my own position--is dependent to a large degree on public good will, I would be hesitant about allying myself with a movement that smacks of mindless anarchism a la the WTO types.

I also think it's ossum that Moveon has signed up.

Razgovory

Didn't seem to hurt the Tea Party when the militias started showing up.  One when one conspired to start killing people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

It makes the occupiers look bad.

Sheilbh

I think the American thing needs to shut down.  My impression is there's been violence associated with it - though I do think American policing is offensively heavy handed, but then I always think that whenever any tasing or cop related thread to do with the US comes up.  But that's by the by.  The downside of not having any leaders is there's no-one to distance them from the black block elements.

But I think their issues still matter and they need to work out a new way of presenting them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2011, 04:47:39 PM

For the unions.  I think it's becoming apparent that the principle goal of Occupy is protest for the sake of protest, confrontation for the sake of confrontation.  If I were the head of a union, realizing that the position of my members--and by extension my own position--is dependent to a large degree on public good will, I would be hesitant about allying myself with a movement that smacks of mindless anarchism a la the WTO types.

I also think it's ossum that Moveon has signed up.
What good will is needed for the union? I either pa 64 bucks a month to be in the union or I pay 64 bucks a month and not be in the union. I pay either way, and I have no good will towards them.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 17, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
What good will is needed for the union? I either pa 64 bucks a month to be in the union or I pay 64 bucks a month and not be in the union. I pay either way, and I have no good will towards them.

The bail outs of GM and Chrysler involved good will.  The continuation of closed shop states, or union shops, or whatever they're called, requires good will.  There has been a minor kerfluffle in Iowa over state funding for a municipal building project that involves a "project agreement," i.e. a union-only bid system.  That calls on good will.  Good will all over the place.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2011, 04:51:41 PM
Didn't seem to hurt the Tea Party when the militias started showing up.  One when one conspired to start killing people.

The tea party has lost a lot of the popular support it had at the start.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2011, 10:08:53 PMThe continuation of closed shop states, or union shops, or whatever they're called, requires good will. 
Fahdiz said these have been illegal for decades :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2011, 10:36:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2011, 10:08:53 PMThe continuation of closed shop states, or union shops, or whatever they're called, requires good will. 

It has, but that doesn't mean conservatives have taken it off their talking points.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I think he means states without right to work type laws being the "union" states. For one thing, in states with right to work laws, Wags could opt NOT to be in the union, and even though his workplace is union he wouldn't have to pay dues. As it is now, he pays whether he chooses to join the union or not at his workplace because Massachusetts has no right to work laws. That's my understanding anyways.

dps

The traditional "closed shop", where a person has to be a member of the union in order to be hired,  has been illegal natiionwide for decades (with some exceptions in specialized industries and trades).  The "union shop", where a person can be hired without being a member of the union, but must join the union after being hired, is legal under federal law, but not in some states (those with "right to work" laws).  The fact that the traditional closed shop is generally not legal anymore has lead to the term "closed shop" often being used to describe what are technically union shops.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 07:05:13 PM
The "union shop", where a person can be hired without being a member of the union, but must join the union after being hired,

Only in America... You guys are insane.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 07:05:13 PMThe traditional "closed shop", where a person has to be a member of the union in order to be hired,  has been illegal natiionwide for decades (with some exceptions in specialized industries and trades).

Ironically, the closed shop survives in white collar occupations.  You try being a lawyer without joining the State Bar, for example...