Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2011, 11:48:59 AM
I don't think anything about anyone else can be extrapolated from Grallon.

You are probably correct.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 08:57:16 AM
Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:09:32 PM
I feel sure the aristocrats in Versailles sneered down at the crowds who took the Bastille

I doubt it - not unless they had a very strong telescope.

What is it about wannabe radicals and inability to grasp basic geography?

I think chronology too. I may be wrong but I think the royal court moved back to Louvre (in response to popular demand) before they stormed the Bastille.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 11:53:48 AMI think chronology too. I may be wrong but I think the royal court moved back to Louvre (in response to popular demand) before they stormed the Bastille.
I think G's right.  Fairly sure the Bastille fell before the fishwives dragged the court to Paris.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 11:46:22 AM

Coming from a guy who grudgingly gives to charity.  You are a good example of what is wrong with your generation.  Feeling entitled and bitter and not willing to do a thing constructive about it.

I'm saving my constructive energies for when the blood starts flowing. :contract:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 12:23:44 PMI'm saving my constructive energies for when the blood starts flowing. :contract:

Killing and tearing down the social order is, by definition, not constructive.

KRonn

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 09:40:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 09:04:55 PM
the problem is that even those who aren't elite have it to good to rock the boat. Do you see the millions of office works throwing off the shackles of oppression?

:blink:  You don't hear them groan already?!

I am one such, beset with terrible, mindless - near sighted - obsessed with-short-term-profits management.  I witness *daily* the fruits of my work diverted into countless layers of useless middlemen.

Allow me to enlighten you then. 

I am one of a team of 18 servicing a specific site.  Out of this group - 12 are managers - of one thing or another - and 6 are actual workers - or doers.  In other words those who bring in the fucking *doe*.  I am one of the six who provides the actual service the client pays for - and the other 12 'manages' us - and get paid substantially more than *we* are - for doing so.  And when I say 'manage' - I mean useless reports - or metrics - on all aspects of what we do - whether it's demanded or not.  But whether it's demanded or not you can bet your life on that it's billed - and that *we* - the 6 doers - never see a dime on it.  It all goes to feed the 12 leeches above us.

So don't you dare come prattling on about the multitudes 'throwing off the shackles of oppression' with a sneering smile.

G.
If it is as you say then that sure sounds pretty messed up, bad management, waste of money - so much management for so few workers. Don't those managers have other tasks that do benefit the company financially? Do some of them work with customers, do billable work?

Habbaku

Coming from a guy who grudgingly gives to charity.  You are a good example of what is wrong with your generation.  Feeling entitled and bitter and not willing to do a thing constructive about it.

Isn't Grallon your generation?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on October 06, 2011, 02:25:07 PM

Isn't Grallon your generation?

I dont think so.  I thought he was closer to your age then mine. dont know for sure though.  He sure acts like he belongs to yours. :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Ok, closer to my generation and we have to take the blame.

AnchorClanker

My dad in a nutshell - He kinda likes Cain for some reason, and is just about ready to take leave to go participate in the NYC protests.   :lol:

It would make perfect sense in his world.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2011, 08:51:46 AM
Here's an example fo what Grallon was talking about...FF to about the 50 second mark if necessary.

http://youtu.be/2PiXDTK_CBY

would have been more impressive if they actually stormed the building... pfft, disappointing.

Grallon

Quote from: KRonn on October 06, 2011, 01:50:03 PM

If it is as you say then that sure sounds pretty messed up, bad management, waste of money - so much management for so few workers. Don't those managers have other tasks that do benefit the company financially? Do some of them work with customers, do billable work?

Most are project managers since projects are billed separately to the client and are more lucrative than standard operations.  One mostly sits on meetings and takes notes then relay them to the others.  Another does the same thing - they're the back up of each other. Then there's the 'delivery manager' who's responsible to deliver the services we provide - which far too often means that he disrupts normal operations by hoping and jumping whenever the client has a whim and flagging this or that as urgent.  <_<

My closest colleague took the job of technical lead which I turned down and is now constantly prevented from concentrating on his job because the 'delivery manager' is constantly asking him to produce reports on what he's trying to do...  :frusty: 

Incidentally that is precisely why I turned it down - that and having to be on call.

We've been telling them we need more people in the field but they don't have a budget - yet they have a budget to pay all these useless mouths who hamper more than they help.

Anyhow.  For having contacts with people in other organizations I know it's exactly the same elsewhere - wherever IT is outsourced in fact.  As I said the salary attached to my current position has been devalued by 30k in the last 10 years - where do you think this money went?  To pay for the superfluous layers of management, and increase the profit margin of the account of course - so that the managers can get *their* yearly bonuses while we are told there won't be any raises or bonuses...  <_<

So what my previous interventions boil down to is this: greed runs rampant everywhere and it must be brought under control because it's unsustainable.  This is what these people in New-York, in Spain, in Greece, etc are protesting against.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 02:33:51 PM
Ok, closer to my generation and we have to take the blame.

I'm 44 - older than you I think.

G.

~Jean-François Revel