Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 05, 2011, 09:42:29 PM
Except you ain't done shit.

Exactly.

I may the establishment's leash dog, but over the past year, I burned over 200 hours of what otherwise would have been billable time to get the city to restore several million dollars worth of benefits to families with children.  What exactly has grallon done to have any tangible impact on the problems in this world?  Because whining about your bosses while meekly punching your time card, and daydreaming fantasies about violent paroxysms of revolution doesn't actually change anything; it just marks you as an ineffectual wannabe with some future risk of going postal.

So you shuffle money around? That's Wall Street noble. Must feel good to actually make something.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2011, 10:13:49 AM
So you shuffle money around? That's Wall Street noble. Must feel good to actually make something.

It may not be as creative as experimenting with DIY  human-goat hybridization, but I do my best.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 10:17:03 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2011, 10:13:49 AM

It may not be as creative as experimenting with DYI human-goat hybridization, but I do my best.

I am on the verge of a breakthrough.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 08:57:16 AM
Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:09:32 PM
I feel sure the aristocrats in Versailles sneered down at the crowds who took the Bastille

I doubt it - not unless they had a very strong telescope.

What is it about wannabe radicals and inability to grasp basic geography?

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 09:49:35 AM
As for what I do to better this world - nothing of course.  It's not worth saving.  People are scum - when will you all get that into your thick heads?

G.

If that's they case, why do you whine about people being sucky? What's the point?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2011, 08:47:34 AM
Why did they even mace those girls? They were already penned in behind a fence. :huh:
Because they were at a protest.  Isn't that enough?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2011, 10:30:21 AM
As for what I do to better this world - nothing of course.  It's not worth saving.  People are scum - when will you all get that into your thick heads?

G.

If that's they case, why do you whine about people being sucky? What's the point?

I think his low opinion of humanity has to do with who he spends most of his time with.  If I was a child rapist, I'd have a low opinion of the rest of humanity as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2011, 10:30:21 AM

G.
It's a very French thing to do.  Grallon makes a critical mistake in thinking that just because human life has no special meaning or value, that we it shouldn't have meaning for us.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

As for what I do to better this world - nothing of course. 

Not quite true anymore - I've just been badgered into donating an amount on every paycheck for the starving children in Africa. :nelson:

Well I like the girl who did the badgering so I humored her.  :blush:

-----

In any case let's get on with our usual rowing.

@ Garbon - I happen to be very appreciated where I work - and was offered promotions on 3 occasions - which I turned down because I can't be arsed to deal regularly with the incompetent managers I mentioned above.  I enjoy what I do - but it deserves to be paid more which is the main beef I have with the job.  10 years ago - the same job I have now was paid 30k more than it is now...  See what I meant?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

I like Quebec.  None of that up-or-out bullshit.  People can have their place.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 10:01:53 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 06, 2011, 09:36:31 AM
Tax write off?

Sadly the time is not tax deductible.

In NYC (and elsewhere around the country) the volume of cases that require attention vastly exceeds the resources of the existing legal assistance organizations, which have to rely on donations of time and resources from the private bar to fill even a small part of that gap.

I applaud you. The thing the Grallons of the world forget is the amount of work the "elites" to do without praise or acknowledgment.  We all try to do our bit but nobody will ever know what we accomplished - except us.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 11:35:12 AM

I applaud you. The thing the Grallons of the world forget is the amount of work the "elites" to do without praise or acknowledgment.  We all try to do our bit but nobody will ever know what we accomplished - except us.

Cry us a river while you're at it.  :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 10:51:08 AM
@ Garbon - I happen to be very appreciated where I work - and was offered promotions on 3 occasions - which I turned down because I can't be arsed to deal regularly with the incompetent managers I mentioned above.  I enjoy what I do - but it deserves to be paid more which is the main beef I have with the job.  10 years ago - the same job I have now was paid 30k more than it is now...  See what I meant?

G.

So you turn down promotions and then complain about your lot?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 11:40:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 11:35:12 AM

Cry us a river while you're at it.  :rolleyes:

G.

Coming from a guy who grudgingly gives to charity.  You are a good example of what is wrong with your generation.  Feeling entitled and bitter and not willing to do a thing constructive about it.

Razgovory

I don't think anything about anyone else can be extrapolated from Grallon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017