Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

KRonn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 05, 2011, 01:32:00 PM
The Massachusetts Nurses Association is getting in on the Occupy Wall Street spin-off in Boston today...
I'm glad I'm not commuting to Boston anymore, to get stuck in any traffic or protests! Job moved me to the suburbs, close to home.   :)

KRonn

This may turn out to be longer lasting, just like the Tea Party. Good for them, or at least for some of their reasons for being there. It's very mixed, some of their issues are left winger stuff and others more centrist type. Our politicians do need the shaking up though, as do the powers that help control the decisions in Congress.

Ed Anger

I decided to check out the 'Occupy Dayton' spin-off protest. Totally pathetic. Especially with Red Yellow Springs in the next county and 2 universities and 3 community colleges in the area to draw on.

I wish I had a Hummer to drive by them. Soak in my carbon hippies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 01:04:30 PM
You could say it's an encouraging sight to see so many

:huh:
The numbers are in the hundreds.  This in a metropolitan area of 20 million people.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 05, 2011, 12:42:04 PM
It certainly would be more convenient if there was one specific complaint combined with a concrete policy proposal to fix it.

Instead we get things like this:

... and many more variations. Some self-centred and silly, some heart breaking, some somewhere in between.

Harrison Ford looks like shit these days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2011, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 03, 2011, 01:31:47 PM
There's some heartbreaking stories in there.

Yeah. I've been hanging out on a few other hobby sites and the number of stories of hardship and poverty in the US are pretty disconcerting. A couple of bad bounces in the job market or with health can apparently leave people in a really bad way.

[Tea Bagger mode] Let them die! Ya! Ya! [/tea bagger mode]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2011, 04:50:25 PM

Harrison Ford looks like shit these days.
You think he'd learn after the first time not to put all his eggs in one basket.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I saw some of the SF protesters and laughed. SF loves a protest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Apparently there's one in Columbia.  I'd get out my Bring Back Arrested Development sign, but it appears they finally caved.  Time to increase the demands, and the pressure.  I was pretty partial to Andy Richter Controls the Universe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2011, 07:26:21 PM
Apparently there's one in Columbia.  I'd get out my Bring Back Arrested Development sign, but it appears they finally caved.  Time to increase the demands, and the pressure.  I was pretty partial to Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Bring back F Troop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2011, 02:41:01 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 01:04:30 PM
You could say it's an encouraging sight to see so many

The numbers are in the hundreds.  This in a metropolitan area of 20 million people.

Naturally a leash dog of the Establishment/Elite/Oligarchy *will* strive to minimize what's happening.

It's really fascinating to see how History repeats itself: an elite group, bloated by its own excesses, grabbing and grasping to maintain its privileges.  With, of course, the same inevitable result: said elite is replaced by another group - with much loss of life and wealth.  Whereas had they been just a little bit less greedy - they might have retained most of their position as part of the elite - and that at a minimum cost.

I feel sure the aristocrats in Versailles sneered down at the crowds who took the Bastille - with much the same mindset as you exhibit here today.  Yet they were slaughtered in the tens of thousands, and exiled in the hundreds of thousands.  ^_^

The maggots will believe the World is flat when it's proven under their nose that it's round.  Such is human nature... *shakes head*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

HVC

Keep living the dream Grallon :D the day may indeed come where what you wish will come to pass, but it isn't today and it isn't under the current conditions.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Manhattan is a city of elites (and their wannabes -_-) - just because a few bits of trash came over from Brooklyn to create a sustainable society in a park isn't a reason to take them seriously. No more than protesters from Oakland lighting trashcans in SF in order to get some media coverage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.