Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It certainly would be more convenient if there was one specific complaint combined with a concrete policy proposal to fix it.

Instead we get things like this:

... and many more variations. Some self-centred and silly, some heart breaking, some somewhere in between.

Jacob

... but yeah, the stage certainly is ripe for someone to step in and provide direction. A bit of charisma and a couple of easily digestible proposed solutions or demands would help in doing that.

I expect it will take a bit, if it happens at all.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

MadImmortalMan

It would be a miracle at this point if Obama could somehow associate himself with this. He's too establishment now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 05, 2011, 12:53:13 PM
It would be a miracle at this point if Obama could somehow associate himself with this. He's too establishment now.

As an outside observer that is the sense I get.  "Yes We Can" isnt going to cut it.

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on October 05, 2011, 12:42:04 PM
It certainly would be more convenient if there was one specific complaint combined with a concrete policy proposal to fix it.

... and many more variations. Some self-centred and silly, some heart breaking, some somewhere in between.

You could say it's an encouraging sight to see so many begin to speak up - even if a little haphazardly or incoherently. 

This tells me the status-quo is crumbling.  When social mobility is hampered or prevented altogether, in a society that is based upon such mobility, that's when real problems begins.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Darth Wagtaros

He was establishment when he ran for president and managed to convince people otherwise.  He can do it again if he tries.

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 11:06:01 AM
Is Ide entitled for wanting to still pursue a career with the government?
Or should he just go into a life of crime?

I wasn't saying he was entitled but rather that the veterans might have a leg up on him as they helped to serve their country...not break its laws. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2011, 10:46:28 AM
So is this thing sort of like the younger version of the Tea Party with a more liberal slant?  A group of people protesting something without really any knowledge of what they actually want.

It sure seems that way. Especially with all those remarks on the tumblr page (tumblr :x) and bits of news items like "we're creating our own sustainable community in the park."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 01:04:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 05, 2011, 12:42:04 PM

You could say it's an encouraging sight to see so many begin to speak up - even if a little haphazardly or incoherently. 

This tells me the status-quo is crumbling.  When social mobility is hampered or prevented altogether, in a society that is based upon such mobility, that's when real problems begins.

G.

Yes, the system kept the deadbeats down.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 01:11:49 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 11:06:01 AM
Is Ide entitled for wanting to still pursue a career with the government?
Or should he just go into a life of crime?

I wasn't saying he was entitled but rather that the veterans might have a leg up on him as they helped to serve their country...not break its laws. -_-

Oliver North did both, and he's doing pretty well for himself now. Maybe that's something Ide should consider.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 05, 2011, 01:08:08 PM
He was establishment when he ran for president and managed to convince people otherwise.  He can do it again if he tries.

Doubtful. He's caved to the Republicans too many times and has very little achievement besides his Health Care stuff, and even that's at risk. Repealing DADT isn't nearly enough.

Capetan Mihali

The Massachusetts Nurses Association is getting in on the Occupy Wall Street spin-off in Boston today...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 05, 2011, 01:32:00 PM
The Massachusetts Nurses Association is getting in on the Occupy Wall Street spin-off in Boston today...

Will they wear hot nurses' uniforms? :)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 01:12:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2011, 10:46:28 AM
So is this thing sort of like the younger version of the Tea Party with a more liberal slant?  A group of people protesting something without really any knowledge of what they actually want.

It sure seems that way. Especially with all those remarks on the tumblr page (tumblr :x) and bits of news items like "we're creating our own sustainable community in the park."
That was my favorite part. A sustainable community in a public park based on handouts.  The 30s had Hoovervilles, will this be a Bushbamaville?
PDH!