Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Gbeagle on October 05, 2011, 03:46:59 AM
I shouldn't really laugh though, since I'll have a Ph.D. from that sort of university. They paid me to get the degree at least. Hard sciences generally pay you to get a Ph.D. in them, so that right there should tell you something...

... that profs are looking for low-paid labour to do the boring tasks they don't want to do?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2011, 05:42:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 04, 2011, 05:35:57 PM
Any oligarchs who happen to pass by must be laughing their ass off.  Because these protests are not just slightly misdirected, they are self-marginalizing.
Teabaggers also started off as a joke.  Who's laughing now? 

President Obama, whose re-election chances have been lifted in a big way by their antics.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 04, 2011, 06:07:43 PM
What would be an efficacious protest?

Grass roots targeted boycotts attached to specific agendas, for example.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2011, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2011, 05:42:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 04, 2011, 05:35:57 PM
Any oligarchs who happen to pass by must be laughing their ass off.  Because these protests are not just slightly misdirected, they are self-marginalizing.
Teabaggers also started off as a joke.  Who's laughing now? 

President Obama, whose re-election chances have been lifted in a big way by their antics.

I hope so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 01:56:34 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2011, 04:45:22 PM
I'll tell you who's entitled, though.  Those veterans.  By law.  I probably shouldn't have decided to pursue a career in the civil service during a tanking economy and in the immediate aftermath of two wars.

Not that a Canadian would know anything about two wars.  Or, to an extent, a tanking economy.  Free.  Rider.

Don't you still have a criminal record? :unsure:

Yeah, that goes on my resume under "Experience."  Wake up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2011, 10:42:28 AM
I'll tell you who's entitled, though.  Those veterans.  By law.  I probably shouldn't have decided to pursue a career in the civil service during a tanking economy and in the immediate aftermath of two wars.

Not that a Canadian would know anything about two wars.  Or, to an extent, a tanking economy.  Free.  Rider.

I've just been wondering if that could play an issue in applying for SSA and other government stuff.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

So is this thing sort of like the younger version of the Tea Party with a more liberal slant?  A group of people protesting something without really any knowledge of what they actually want.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 10:46:22 AM

I've just been wondering if that could play an issue in applying for SSA and other government stuff.

Is Ide entitled for wanting to still pursue a career with the government?
Or should he just go into a life of crime?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HVC

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 11:06:01 AM

In the long term it turns ou theres very little diference :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 11:13:03 AM

:D
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 10:46:22 AM

I guess you're right.  It conceivably could.  But I've not been explicitly told so, and they've not been shy about telling me when I'm simply un- or low-qualified (or that I'm not a veteran, thus not considered).

I think it'd be more of a problem in getting a security clearance job.  I think I've only applied to one of those, some gig I can't remember at the FBI.

One thing to bear in mind is that my criminal convictions (with one minor exception) are all really old, and stem from even older incidents.  I mean, the A + B is almost ten years old at this point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

:mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:33:16 AM

:mad:
you get by becaue you work for the government, not in the government.

Plus i can't remember what law you broke that i chided you for, or i'd have used that as an agrument :lol:.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

These guys desperately need focus. Too many manifestos and lists of demands and whatnot. It's all over the place.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 05, 2011, 12:31:32 PM
These guys desperately need focus. Too many manifestos and lists of demands and whatnot. It's all over the place.

That is typically the problem with protests of this nature and now I hear a lot of other interests are going to be joining in to catch some of the media spotlight.  At some point it is going to turn into something like the "protests" we had here in Vancouver before the Olympics where every protestor seemed to have their own agenda and they were all meeting together for the spectacle of it all.

The difference being that in the US right now there is palpable anger and fear over economic issues so who knows what might happen if all that emotion is harnessed by someone who does have a clear direction to point it.