Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Grallon, Ok, I can understand that about your company. And it is just crazy. I'd have to think that such inefficiency would fall down, eventually, but I guess they've been doing things that way for years.  Pretty bad.   <_<

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 04:32:54 PM
So what my previous interventions boil down to is this: greed runs rampant everywhere and it must be brought under control because it's unsustainable.  This is what these people in New-York, in Spain, in Greece, etc are protesting against.

G.

I don't think that's the case.  The people in Greece are fighting to keep all of their perks while the people in New York are protesting that they don't get perks and other people do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 02:33:51 PM
Ok, closer to my generation and we have to take the blame.

I'm 44 - older than you I think.

G.

Oh the fagpression years. I have friends there. It's not pretty.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
So what my previous interventions boil down to is this: greed runs rampant everywhere and it must be brought under control because it's unsustainable.  This is what these people in New-York, in Spain, in Greece, etc are protesting against.

G.

I don't think that's the case.  The people in Greece are fighting to keep all of their perks while the people in New York are protesting that they don't get perks and other people do.

I think saying that about Greece is a gross oversimplification. Greece is not a rich country. It's a country that has been sold a "Western living" vision by a corrupt government propped up by the banks that lent it inordinate amounts of money (including, German and other EU banks). Now they are being told this lifestyle - which is still below that of the rich West - was an illusion and they have to buckle up - while they feel exploited by the "West".

The likes of Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers are much more to blame for this than a Greek taxpayer/voter.

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 05:10:04 PM

Oh the fagpression years. I have friends there. It's not pretty.

You will get there too you know.  ;)  Still, since you've already budgeted yourself a 'boyfriend allowance' you should be spared the ugliest part.  And since I do not have your means, I spared myself the same ugliest part by willingly putting an end to my romantic/sexual life.   :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 05:12:24 PM

G.

I think saying that about Greece is a gross oversimplification. Greece is not a rich country. It's a country that has been sold a "Western living" vision by a corrupt government propped up by the banks that lent it inordinate amounts of money (including, German and other EU banks). Now they are being told this lifestyle - which is still below that of the rich West - was an illusion and they have to buckle up - while they feel exploited by the "West".

So again they want their perks. Now granted, they didn't know that they were perks but they are still perks.

But if you're doing that, you also make the NYC description more robust. Some of the individuals have substandard living, some have standard living but think some of the perks are entitled to them. Across the board most of them think that some parts of the society get crazy amounts of perks and it is causing them to have lower quality of living.

Of course, the point of my post was that Grallon was equating several situations which seem to stem from different issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Well, what can I say...

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 05:16:40 PM
You will get there too you know.  ;)

Yes...
QuoteStill, since you've already budgeted yourself a 'boyfriend allowance' you should be spared the ugliest part. 

And yes.

crazy canuck

I am not sure that Grallon's lack of a young boyfriend fund is more ugly than Marti's use of such a fund.

Ideologue

Say, what kind of money are we talking about here?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2011, 05:39:54 PM

If I send you 5 dollars, will you put a video up of you eating a bag of Resse Cups?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2011, 05:43:45 PM

If I send you 5 dollars, will you put a video up of you eating a bag of Resse Cups?

If I had a webcam, shit yeah.  That's like pure profit. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 05:12:24 PM

G.

The likes of Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers are much more to blame for this than a Greek taxpayer/voter.

Um, let's not overlook that Greece LIED to get into the Euro club - and then kidded themselves about their obligations, etc.
I can feel sorry for individual Greeks, but I cannot feel sorry for Greece.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2011, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2011, 05:43:45 PM

If I had a webcam, shit yeah.  That's like pure profit. :D

Factor in the cost of the Resse Cups.

Martinus

In this economy? $10,000 a year.  :lol:

Ed Anger

All I have to pay for is the abortions when I knock a mistress up.