Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 09:04:55 PM
the problem is that even those who aren't elite have it to good to rock the boat. Do you see the millions of office works throwing off the shackles of oppression?
I think he discounts them next to the tens of millions of dead-end service workers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
Keep living the dream Grallon :D the day may indeed come where what you wish will come to pass, but it isn't today and it isn't under the current conditions.

*shrug* who's dreaming?

Every single elite group in History that has resisted a change in paradigm has been either displaced or wiped out.  I believe that time has come for the financial elite in the West.  And since they are resisting change, a change brought by their own reckless greed I might add, they'll go the same way the other elite groups have gone: down!

G.
the problem is that even those who aren't elite have it to good to rock the boat. Do you see the millions of office works throwing off the shackles of oppression?

I'm very oppressed. My work sent me on an all expenses trip to California. That was the worst, I mean they expected me to use my off hours flying! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 09:08:48 PM
I know the Tea Party is awful and all, but are they throwing fire bombs?

Didn't have to when they took over Congress.

KRonn

Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 08:53:56 PM
I wondering the same actually. Lots of discontent, anger and disillusionment out there right now. Bad economy for some years now, lack of jobs, discontent building over a lot of government and its failures, discontent over the financial sector's failings. I'm not hoping for huge and lasting protests, but I'm not going to say this is going to quiet down soon. Seems like possibly another tea party type concept in the making, different politics but some similarities with the discontent and anger over how things have been going.

No, they've been quite law abiding in their gatherings. And I wasn't blasting them for anything. Just drawing some comparisons to the reasons these new protesters are out there and some of the reasons the tea party formed. Both groups differ a lot I think, but I feel they both share in the disillusionment with what's going on in the country, politics, business, etc.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 09:15:24 PM
I wondering the same actually. Lots of discontent, anger and disillusionment out there right now. Bad economy for some years now, lack of jobs, discontent building over a lot of government and its failures, discontent over the financial sector's failings. I'm not hoping for huge and lasting protests, but I'm not going to say this is going to quiet down soon. Seems like possibly another tea party type concept in the making, different politics but some similarities with the discontent and anger over how things have been going.

No, they've been quite law abiding in their gatherings. And I wasn't blasting them for anything. Just drawing some comparisons to the reasons these new protesters are out there and some of the reasons the tea party formed. Both groups differ a lot I think, but I feel they both share in the disillusionment with what's going on in the country, politics, business, etc.

Okay, I was just curious as you quoted Grallon's post about Greek style protests coming to America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 09:21:30 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 09:15:24 PM

Okay, I was just curious as you quoted Grallon's post about Greek style protests coming to America.
I don't expect to have Greek style discontent  but I feel I should be open to the idea that we may see some pretty significant protests worsening as discontent grows. So I do wonder how far things may go if conditions don't improve over the next year or so.

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 09:27:56 PM
I don't expect to have Greek style discontent  but I feel I should be open to the idea that we may see some pretty significant protests worsening as discontent grows. So I do wonder how far things may go if conditions don't improve over the next year or so.

The protests in Greece are over benefits that have been taken away.  That hasnt happened in the US and isnt likely to if the Democrats win the next election.   If the teabaggers take over then all bets are off.

Grallon

:blink:  You don't hear them groan already?!

I am one such, beset with terrible, mindless - near sighted - obsessed with-short-term-profits management.  I witness *daily* the fruits of my work diverted into countless layers of useless middlemen.

Allow me to enlighten you then. 

I am one of a team of 18 servicing a specific site.  Out of this group - 12 are managers - of one thing or another - and 6 are actual workers - or doers.  In other words those who bring in the fucking *doe*.  I am one of the six who provides the actual service the client pays for - and the other 12 'manages' us - and get paid substantially more than *we* are - for doing so.  And when I say 'manage' - I mean useless reports - or metrics - on all aspects of what we do - whether it's demanded or not.  But whether it's demanded or not you can bet your life on that it's billed - and that *we* - the 6 doers - never see a dime on it.  It all goes to feed the 12 leeches above us.

So don't you dare come prattling on about the multitudes 'throwing off the shackles of oppression' with a sneering smile.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

@ Grallon If you can do it so much better than they can then start your own business and run the terribly inefficient over managed competition into the ground.  Or maybe you are exaggerating just a touch.

garbon

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 09:42:51 PM
@ Grallon If you can do it so much better than they can then start your own business and run the terribly inefficient over managed competition into the ground.  Or maybe you are exaggerating just a touch.

If he was better at his job, you'd expect by his age that he'd be one of the managers.

HVC

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 09:40:29 PM

:blink:  You don't hear them groan already?!

I am one such, beset with terrible, mindless - near sighted - obsessed with-short-term-profits management.  I witness *daily* the fruits of my work diverted into countless layers of useless middlemen.

Allow me to enlighten you then. 

I am one of a team of 18 servicing a specific site.  Out of this group - 12 are managers - of one thing or another - and 6 are actual workers - or doers.  In other words those who bring in the fucking *doe*.  I am one of the six who provides the actual service the client pays for - and the other 12 'manages' us - and get paid substantially more than *we* are - for doing so.  And when I say 'manage' - I mean useless reports - or metrics - on all aspects of what we do - whether it's demanded or not.  But whether it's demanded or not you can bet your life on that it's billed - and that *we* - the 6 doers - never see a dime on it.  It all goes to feed the 12 leeches above us.

So don't you dare come prattling on about the multitudes 'throwing off the shackles of oppression' with a sneering smile.

G.
No sneering intended. At my company i'm lower on the totem pole then you are at yours, at likely much less pay as well :lol: . My job is literally correcting the mistakes done by other who too are paid more then i am. So if you want to talk about less then useful managers i'm with you. That being said would you be willing to rise up and risk what you have? i know i wouldn't. in the system you seem to wish for what would be your role? would your job exist in your new world? in the short term it's very unlikely. Perhaps even in the long term. If things pass relatively smoothly would you be able to transition back into your role? Would you be willing to take that chance? would your 5 colleagues? We in the western world have it good. damn good. do others have it better? yes. But is the disparity so glaring for so many that there would be enough impetus for a revolution? i highly doubt it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 09:39:00 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 09:27:56 PM

The protests in Greece are over benefits that have been taken away.  That hasnt happened in the US and isnt likely to if the Democrats win the next election.   If the teabaggers take over then all bets are off.
to be fair the greeks love to protest. they protested when times were good too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.