Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
Keep living the dream Grallon :D the day may indeed come where what you wish will come to pass, but it isn't today and it isn't under the current conditions.

*shrug* who's dreaming?

Every single elite group in History that has resisted a change in paradigm has been either displaced or wiped out.  I believe that time has come for the financial elite in the West.  And since they are resisting change, a change brought by their own reckless greed I might add, they'll go the same way the other elite groups have gone: down!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

But exactly what is the elite suppose to budge on in this case? No matter the amount of protesting, I don't see free meds being given for all medical conditions nor a guarantee that people with a college education will get a job.  While it might be convenient to smack down on big business for the difficulties in one's life, what use is their exclaiming that the housing market was a scam as I saw one protest sign read today?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

How sustainable is a community in a public park subsisting off of handouts? 
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 05, 2011, 08:33:15 PM
How sustainable is a community in a public park subsisting off of handouts? 

I think San Francisco has been managing that for years. So...very sustainable?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  Greeks running amoke, soiling the proud tradition of Pericles and Leonides.  They need another Asiatic invasion to whip them into shape.
PDH!

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 08:37:29 PM
Anyway, all things considered I think this is a more scary protest

It's only a matter of time before what's happening in Greece happens in North America.  Or do you think this is all disconnected from your reality?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Yeah ironically I have more faith in my fellow man than Grallon.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:41:10 PM
It's only a matter of time before what's happening in Greece happens in North America.  Or do you think this is all disconnected from your reality?
No, it probably won't.  North America has a society, rather than a series of tribes.  A bad economy results in rough patches, but we survived the Depression.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 08:37:29 PM
Anyway, all things considered I think this is a more scary protest

G.

I wondering the same actually. Lots of discontent, anger and disillusionment out there right now. Bad economy for some years now, lack of jobs, discontent building over a lot of government and its failures, discontent over the financial sector's failings. I'm not hoping for huge and lasting protests, but I'm not going to say this is going to quiet down soon. Seems like possibly another tea party type concept in the making, different politics but some similarities with the discontent and anger over how things have been going.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 08:48:37 PM
Yeah ironically I have more faith in my fellow man than Grallon.

Grallon is bonkers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Grallon on October 05, 2011, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
Keep living the dream Grallon :D the day may indeed come where what you wish will come to pass, but it isn't today and it isn't under the current conditions.

*shrug* who's dreaming?

Every single elite group in History that has resisted a change in paradigm has been either displaced or wiped out.  I believe that time has come for the financial elite in the West.  And since they are resisting change, a change brought by their own reckless greed I might add, they'll go the same way the other elite groups have gone: down!

G.
the problem is that even those who aren't elite have it to good to rock the boat. Do you see the millions of office works throwing off the shackles of oppression?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2011, 08:53:56 PM
I wondering the same actually. Lots of discontent, anger and disillusionment out there right now. Bad economy for some years now, lack of jobs, discontent building over a lot of government and its failures, discontent over the financial sector's failings. I'm not hoping for huge and lasting protests, but I'm not going to say this is going to quiet down soon. Seems like possibly another tea party type concept in the making, different politics but some similarities with the discontent and anger over how things have been going.

I know the Tea Party is awful and all, but are they throwing fire bombs?