News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My first car accident

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

One time I hit a car but it turned out to be driven by (probably) illegal immigrants.  Score!

Really minor damage, anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2011, 06:42:01 AM
One time I hit a car but it turned out to be driven by (probably) illegal immigrants.  Score!

As a full blooded citizen you should have had the right for their papers and if they had none, summarily execute them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I'm going to be in Manhattan today.  Given that the family is coming up with a bullshit theory about me running a red light, should I get a police accident report from the precinct there?  Does it matter?

Admiral Yi

I thought if you were doing to ding her insurance you had to get an accident report.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2011, 10:04:57 AM
I'm going to be in Manhattan today.  Given that the family is coming up with a bullshit theory about me running a red light, should I get a police accident report from the precinct there?  Does it matter?

How did you running a red light cause her to ding you in the rear?  Unless you were running it in reverse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2011, 10:16:10 AM

How did you running a red light cause her to ding you in the rear?  Unless you were running it in reverse.
Don't ask me, I'm not a retard, so I can't understand the logic of that one.  From what I was able to make out from the mom's rant, apparently the daughter thought I was going to run the red light, so she was surprised when I stopped on the sidewalk.  Apart from the fact that I did not in fact stop on the sidewalk, and was well in line with the cars to the side of me, I don't see how this helps them regardless, but maybe they worked on their story in the mean time.

DGuller

I informed GEICO about the red light theory, and the threats, and they said I should get a report if I can.  However, they reassured me that even if the story is true, that still doesn't vindicate the other party, and that I would be judged to not be at fault regardless.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2011, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2011, 10:16:10 AM

Don't ask me, I'm not a retard, so I can't understand the logic of that one.  From what I was able to make out from the mom's rant, apparently the daughter thought I was going to run the red light, so she was surprised when I stopped on the sidewalk.  Apart from the fact that I did not in fact stop on the sidewalk, and was well in line with the cars to the side of me, I don't see how this helps them regardless, but maybe they worked on their story in the mean time.

As a retard, I still don't understand this.  Why was she driving on the sidewalk?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Sorry, that retarded part was mine.  I meant crosswalk.

Razgovory

That helps a little.  Still, I don't think you can make a case out of that.  I was always under the impression that in a rear end collision the fault lies with the guy behind.  And her not expecting you to stop at a red light does not make a compelling argument.

DGuller

Yeah, if I were trying to weasel out of that kind of crash, I would take the opposite approach, and claim that the guy stopped suddenly at a green light.  Of course, I wouldn't even make up that story when a cop watches the whole thing unfold.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2011, 12:30:08 PM
Yeah, if I were trying to weasel out of that kind of crash, I would take the opposite approach, and claim that the guy stopped suddenly at a green light.  Of course, I wouldn't even make up that story when a cop watches the whole thing unfold.

There was a cop right there and you didn't get a report at the scene?  I understand not wanting to wait around for a cop to show up but even if you were planning on not going through insurance you still should have gotten the report. 

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on September 25, 2011, 12:35:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

There was a cop right there and you didn't get a report at the scene?  I understand not wanting to wait around for a cop to show up but even if you were planning on not going through insurance you still should have gotten the report.
Insurance companies are notified when a report is made.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2011, 12:39:16 PM
Insurance companies are notified when a report is made.

Not always.

Besides, red light or not, it's still incumbent upon the driver following you to maintain an appropriate distance.  Doesn't matter if you slam on your brakes for a red light you've changed you mind on or you see a unicorn off in the distance, there is no legal excuse for failure to maintain a safe distance.  So, their argument is null and void anyhow.  In Maryland, she would've been issued a traffic citation.  The ass end of your vehicle is sacred ground, and legally protected accordingly.  There's no such thing as a no-fault ass-ending from the driver behind you; it's their responsibility to maintain appropriate distance.

DGuller

That's what the PA cop on the scene said.  Maybe he just wanted to get out of doing paperwork, who knows.  :lol:  Anyway, hopefully the crazy family did tell that story to Progressive.  Overworked claims adjusters need a laugh on their work once in a while.  If they did, then they did all the work for me, as if I needed any help.

In other news, while being in Manhattan, I decided to drive down to the 1st Precinct to see if I could get the accident report made.  Evidently, I forgot what city I was in, because when I got there, not only was there no parking space for voluntary visitors, but there wasn't even nearly enough space for patrol cars.  Bunch of patrol cars were parked one or two blocks away.  New York can be such a FIAL sometimes.  :lol:  Anyway, not wanting to add a citation to my list of paperwork, I decided to drive home without the trip to the precinct.