News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My first car accident

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2011, 10:22:37 AM
You guys are all dodging DG's main point of why he didn't change his tire. It's on a shoulder-less highway.
:yes:

Razgovory

Eh, I don't know how to change an headlight either. I suppose that day will eventually come but I hope I won't have to learn it on a busy highway.

You guys are all dodging DG's main point of why he didn't change his tire. It's on a shoulder-less highway.

Street view of it : http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=bqe+new+york+city&hl=en&ll=40.69866,-73.996823&spn=0.000065,0.040941&sll=11.299203,-15.838754&sspn=0.087365,0.163765&vpsrc=6&hq=bqe&hnear=New+York,+United+States&t=h&fll=40.699479,-73.989272&fspn=0.016886,0.040941&z=15&layer=c&cbll=40.69866,-73.996823&panoid=hNiGr15rdhMkS92eSF8pmQ&cbp=12,10.24,,0,25.75

Okay, it's acceptable to call a tow truck on a road like that.  Still, not knowing how to change a tire is not acceptable.  My younger Brother couldn't change a tire for years, so every time he got a flat I'd have to drive up to find him and change the stupid thing.  I think has eventually learned how.  He also didn't know how to change the oil until after his first car was ruined due to lack of oil.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

My tire was taken to Sears Auto Center, where it was pronounced dead at 7:05 pm.  The sidewall had a cut in it, which I kinda suspected after I tried to pump up the tire with my bike pump, and the air was hissing out of the side as quickly as it was coming in.  Thankfully they said nothing about the wheel, so I assume it wasn't damaged.  They didn't have my kind of tire, so I couldn't get a new one right there.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Do you know if you have road hazard warranty on the tires? If so, take it back to where you got them.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on October 05, 2011, 06:37:36 PM
Do you know if you have road hazard warranty on the tires? If so, take it back to where you got them.
No, I never take out insurance on the little things I can easily cover, since it's usually so not worth it.  After reading up on BQE, though, I may change my mind. 

I drive there a lot, and it seems like flat tires are just the price of driving on that piece of shit.  There is nothing dumb about adversely selecting against an insurance provider, if they allow it. 

It's probably too late to get it on the existing set, though, I think you pretty much have to buy it right there with the tires, or you miss your chance.

sbr

Is a flat tire really that hard to deal with in parts of this country?

I get all of my tires here, you can't drive 20 minutes without seeing at least one and they have lifetime warranties on everything they sell.  They even have service trucks that will come out and fix shit for you.

Shall I start a Facebook group about Tire Insecurity?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 02:37:28 AM
Obviously, dgul isn't mature enough to own a car. Handover your keys! :angry:
No shit.  IN SOVYET RUSSIA, TIRE CHANGES YOU!  Jesus.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I don't blame DG for not wanting to change his own tire. That is pleb work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Forget it, DG.  You're busted.  Tire maintenance is by far the most common on a racer, and it works the same way: lift, unbolt, swap, bolt, put down, drive off.

Higher speeds make tires deteriorate faster, especially soft compounds like those used in race tires.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on October 05, 2011, 06:54:27 PM
Is a flat tire really that hard to deal with in parts of this country?

I get all of my tires here, you can't drive 20 minutes without seeing at least one and they have lifetime warranties on everything they sell.  They even have service trucks that will come out and fix shit for you.

Shall I start a Facebook group about Tire Insecurity?
My main problem, or more like inconvenience, is that Nexen tires aren't commonly sold.  Even Tire Rack doesn't have them, and that's the place that you would expect to have every kind of tire.  To replace a tire that was destroyed, you need to match it to the 3 survivors, you can't just put on the first tire you find that fits your wheel.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 05, 2011, 06:57:26 PM
Forget it, DG.  You're busted.  Tire maintenance is by far the most common on a racer, and it works the same way: lift, unbolt, swap, bolt, put down, drive off.

Higher speeds make tires deteriorate faster, especially soft compounds like those used in race tires.
:lol: As usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

We weren't exactly a NASCAR team that goes through 10 sets a weekend.  We were a destitute university team that was barely scraping by, and lucky to have a car that worked reasonably well.

We used a single set for the whole year.  The only time we took off a tire is when we needed to get to something behind it, like a brake disc or a tie rod.  And changing a tire on an open-wheeled formula race car actually bears very little resemblance to changing a tire on a production car or a NASCAR car.

garbon

That's fine as I wouldn't change a tire even on a nice road. Not having AAA which will tow it for free on short distances = stupid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I searched on the Internet, and it seems like ordering the tire is not worth the trouble.  It would take days to arrive, and after taking shipping into account, I would only save maybe $30. 

I'll call the dealership tomorrow, and ask them to quote how much the whole thing costs.  If it costs as much as I think it does, then I'll just have them do it.  I will make a note for the future to make sure that my next set of tires would be commonly available.

Grey Fox

I just buy my tire at Canadian Tire.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.