News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My first car accident

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My dealership didn't have the tire in stock, but offered to order it.  I told them to not bother.  If I can't just go there and get it done with, then there is no point in getting bent over.

I went to tire-easy.com, and ordered the tire for $115.  Sears will mount and balance it for $25, and they're right next door, so I don't have to drive far.  The total damage is going to be about $140.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 07:34:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2011, 10:22:37 AM
You guys are all dodging DG's main point of why he didn't change his tire. It's on a shoulder-less highway.

That's fine as I wouldn't change a tire even on a nice road. Not having AAA which will tow it for free on short distances = stupid.
I took a look at AAA, and membership starts at $60 per year.  Do you need AAA that often that it pays for itself?  My guess as an insurance person is that you don't, unless it's set up as a charity.

Does AAA give more benefits other than sell you free stuff that you would normally pay for?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2011, 02:57:18 PM
I took a look at AAA, and membership starts at $60 per year.  Do you need AAA that often that it pays for itself?  My guess as an insurance person is that you don't, unless it's set up as a charity.

Does AAA give more benefits other than sell you free stuff that you would normally pay for?

I don't think I've ever paid AAA anything beyond the yearly membership fee. :unsure:

$60 for free towing even if one uses it once a year is worth it. Free maps of cities and roadways. Discounts at most major hotels, museums, etc.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Allstate has a service, but I think it is per tow instead of a membership.

Hell, I'd pay for the mayhem guy to show up. Dean Winters. :wub:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2011, 03:08:15 PM

Me too. :wub:

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2011, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2011, 02:57:18 PM

I don't think I've ever paid AAA anything beyond the yearly membership fee. :unsure:

$60 for free towing even if one uses it once a year is worth it. Free maps of cities and roadways. Discounts at most major hotels, museums, etc.
Well, the membership fee pays for those tows, and the administrative expenses on top of that.  That's what I meant by "sell you free stuff".

Do people actually get towed once a year?  Also, it seems like if you want to get towed a good distance away, you need more than a Basic membership.  That's at least $75 renewal.

Anyway, $75 or $100 a year is not that big amount to sweat over, maybe the guarantee of emergency service without getting ripped off is worth it, even if you're not expected to profit from it.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2011, 03:11:43 PM
Do people actually get towed once a year?  Also, it seems like if you want to get towed a good distance away, you need more than a Basic membership.  That's at least $75 renewal.

Anyway, $75 or $100 a year is not that big amount to sweat over, maybe the guarantee of emergency service without getting ripped off is worth it, even if you're not expected to profit from it.

I've never been towed that far so wasn't an issue.  Between peace of mind and the discounts/maps, I more than break even on the $48/yr renewal.

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2011, 03:08:15 PM
Allstate has a service, but I think it is per tow instead of a membership.

Interestingly enough, earlier that day, when I was picking up my car, I thought that I really need to add rental car coverage and emergency road service coverage to my GEICO policy.  They don't cost a lot, but they're nice to have.  As luck would have it, I of course neglected to actually change my policy that day, and popped the tire that night.  :frusty:

Then again, it probably wouldn't matter.  I think any changes to the policy take effect the next day.

Admiral Yi

If you don't know how to change a flat you're a woman.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 04:27:23 PM

Sorry DG, but evidence is strongly pointing to you being a pussy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I'm sure I'll figure it out if I have to, I know all the steps.  It's just that I never had a reason to actually practice.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 04:48:25 PM
I'm sure I'll figure it out if I have to, I know all the steps.  It's just that I never had a reason to actually practice.

You're like my age aren't you?  Around 30?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 04:51:27 PM
I only started driving 3.5 years ago.  I've had a license since I was 19, but never had a car until I was 26.  My family never had a car either.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 04:53:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 04:51:27 PM
I only started driving 3.5 years ago.  I've had a license since I was 19, but never had a car until I was 26.  My family never had a car either.

You're like my sister then.  Except she never learned to drive.  Or my Grandma who never learned to drive but had a license (back from when you just mailed away for it or something).