Main Menu

My first car accident

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Easy on the card games there dude.

We play for 20 bucks a round.

Zoupa

I mean original buy in or whatever that's called.

Eddie Teach

Maybe you should do like garbon, rent an overpriced cupboard in the city and ride the subway or walk everywhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2011, 01:20:50 AM
I get out, and sure enough, my left front tire is totally flat.  I call 911, since I was still in a very dangerous location, and a tow truck came.  It would cost $80 to tow me away from the exit, and $50 more to change the tire.  I wasn't going to learn how to change the tire myself at 10 pm in a seedy part of Brooklyn, so that was my only choice.  The kicker was that I had to pay cash.

Get AAA or one of the other. Learn how to change a tire. It's not that hard.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Obviously, dgul isn't mature enough to own a car. Handover your keys! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2011, 01:49:06 AM
Maybe you should do like garbon, rent an overpriced cupboard in the city and ride the subway or walk everywhere.

My cupboard would be overpriced if it was in Manhattan. Right now it is on par with SF parking. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

The choice is clear, a new car is in order.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on October 05, 2011, 01:48:08 AM
Easy on the card games there dude.

We play for 20 bucks a round.
:rolleyes: I know what I'm doing, mom.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2011, 02:01:01 AM
Get AAA or one of the other. Learn how to change a tire. It's not that hard.
In this case, even if I knew how, I would still need a tow truck.  I will not be changing a tire at night on NYC highway even if I were an expert, I am not suicidal.  I also wouldn't be driving for miles on a flat tire just to find a place to pull off.

DGuller

By the way, what's the best way to get a new tire?  Should I just lube up and go the dealership, and pay an extra $75-$100?  I assume my tire is destroyed, hitting a pot hot hole destroyed the carcass of the tire.  My tire is unfortunately not the kind that places like Sears have.

Valdemar

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2011, 07:39:57 AM
By the way, what's the best way to get a new tire?  Should I just lube up and go the dealership, and pay an extra $75-$100?  I assume my tire is destroyed, hitting a pot hot hole destroyed the carcass of the tire.  My tire is unfortunately not the kind that places like Sears have.

Shop around on the net, there are bound to be cheaper alternatives to the dealer. also, you might need to replace both front/rear tires in the set. It depends on the wear.

V

DontSayBanana

Hitting a pot hole hard usually doesn't destroy the tire.  Continuing to drive on a flat (although you didn't have much choice in the matter) does, because it destroys the sidewall.  Also, seriously?  Changing a tire is like a 5-minute job, 10 or maybe 15 if the hub's rusted onto the wheel and/or the bolts are stubborn.  You just jack up the car, undo the bolts, give it a kick to make sure it comes off the wheel, put the donut on, put the bolts back on, clean up, and drive away.
Experience bij!

Barrister

If you hit a pothole then your tire is likely fine.  I'd be more worried about your rim.

Do they not have tire shops in NYC? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Also, places like Sears or NTB have gotten much better about carrying oddball sizes of tires.  I'm not sure what makes your tire so "unique" unless you're saying you've got run-flats or something.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

I hit a pot hole last winter & it blew the tire. It's a speed issue, imo. Slow enough and you simply fall & get out of it. Fast enough you fly over it. Just the right speed & it blows up. Happens.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.