Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Next time lay off the brakes.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

I e-mailed the girl the estimate.  I left it pretty open-ended, I just asked her to tell me soon what she wanted to do.  Hopefully she makes the first offer.

Eddie Teach

You still haven't commented on her appearance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I'd definitely hit it, and not in the kind of way that started this thread in the first place.

Razgovory

Crashing into an insurance actuary is probably as bad crashing into a lawyer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2011, 02:00:26 PM
Crashing into an insurance actuary is probably as bad crashing into a lawyer.
Not as much as you'd think.  I'm nearly as clueless as the next guy when it comes to detailed insurance policy things.  Underwriters, claim adjusters, or insurance agents are the ones who have detailed real-world knowledge.  Actuaries are generals, not ground troops, of insurance.

MadImmortalMan

Out of curiosity, what kind of investments does your company make with the premiums your customers give you? Everything's in the shitter, and bonds aren't paying anything. Do they generally sit on a pile of cash?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 22, 2011, 03:45:59 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of investments does your company make with the premiums your customers give you? Everything's in the shitter, and bonds aren't paying anything. Do they generally sit on a pile of cash?
My company is a consulting company (sort of).  We don't actually have insurance business of our own.  I'm also not at all familiar with the financial side of things.

DGuller

The girl's told me to talk to her father, and her father thinks the estimate is outrageous, and he was basically being a dick.  He offered me $400, and I said no, thanks.  He says he's going to go through insurance, so I guess I will have to as well.  He called me unreasonable.  :lol:

In hindsight, I regret not getting a police report right there and then.  I thought the girl was reasonable, and she is, but her parents are a piece of work.  I guess some people just can't appreciate when you're trying to do them a favor, and after they asked you for a favor at that.

DGuller

Eh, the girl just called me back, and wants to restart negotiations.  I think I'm going to keep speaking to that girl, she seems like the only reasonable one in the family.

Razgovory

Demand one night with the girl.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The agreement is for me to drive to the place they know and trust, get an estimate, and if I choose to repair my car there, her dad will drive me from and to the shop when I'm without car.   :ph34r:  Hopefully I won't get murdered along the way, the family is Italian.  :ph34r:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2011, 06:24:08 PM
In hindsight, I regret not getting a police report right there and then. 
This is what happens when you don't call Cal before it's time to make a significant decision. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2011, 06:48:33 PM
The agreement is for me to drive to the place they know and trust, get an estimate, and if I choose to repair my car there, her dad will drive me from and to the shop when I'm without car.   :ph34r:  Hopefully I won't get murdered along the way, the family is Italian.  :ph34r:
I believe that is an offer you can't refuse. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points