News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My first car accident

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I think you made a mistake by not reporting it to your insurance company.  FWIW I was in an 'accident' once, in that I was idling in a parking lot and a dude backed his car into mine.  We both reported it to our insurance companies, and it didn't affect my rate.  I did however get a nice $800 settlement, which I was supposed to use to replace my left rear quarter panel.  I instead fixed the dent with a 2x4 and a rubber mallet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

This is how romances start.  At least according to Hollywood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2011, 05:41:10 PM
You should have blackmailed the chick for trim.

Beeb, where did you get that you shouldn't report a not at fault accident?

Law here is no duty to report an accident <$1000 damages, which is what this sounds like.  In any event reporting an accident really doesn't do much one way or another in terms of a civil claim.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 05:38:36 PM
I'm just going to assume that you all were disappointed when you got to the end, and found out that I made it out alive.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
By the way, is a deep gouge in a bumper even worth fixing?  Could I just estimate the loss of resale value to my car, and ask for that from the girl?  I already have some minor damage on my car anyway.

Here's what you do:  get an estimate on the bumper, send it to the girl directly so her mom knows you're not railroading her, and tell her you'll accept a check in exchange for a covenant not to sue.  That'll do the trick.

And ask if she's free on Friday.  If not, ask the Mom.

DGuller

I got an $850 estimate to fix the rear bumper.  I'm thinking of offering the girl to pay $1,000 to settle everything, and compensate me for the estimate as well as inconvenience.  Is that the right approach?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 22, 2011, 11:05:48 AM
I got an $850 estimate to fix the rear bumper.  I'm thinking of offering the girl to pay $1,000 to settle everything, and compensate me for the estimate as well as inconvenience.  Is that the right approach?

No, the right approach is to ask for $850.

If you took this to court they're only going to award you amounts you can show an actual loss for.  Do you have any  other loss?  Have you had to take time off of work?  Any out of pocket expenses?

You don't get squat for "inconvenience".

Malthus

Best approach is to document your expenses. Get your estimate in writing, send the girl a copy of that estimate.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 11:09:17 AM

If you took this to court they're only going to award you amounts you can show an actual loss for.  Do you have any  other loss?  Have you had to take time off of work?  Any out of pocket expenses?

Lost half a day of work, and will probably spend some time and money on alternate transportation when actually getting the car fixed. 

And, on top of it, I am doing her a favor by not reporting the accident.  I'm unlikley to lose anything if I just do everything by the book.  The point of settling is that we're settling, not fighting it out.

DGuller

Then again, I might just go for $850 if that helps settle things amicably, and chalk up the rest of the costs/inconvenience to "shit happens".

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 22, 2011, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 11:09:17 AM

Lost half a day of work, and will probably spend some time and money on alternate transportation when actually getting the car fixed. 

And, on top of it, I am doing her a favor by not reporting the accident.  I'm unlikley to lose anything if I just do everything by the book.  The point of settling is that we're settling, not fighting it out.

If you can document your expenses, then ask for them.

But remember you're also doing yourself a favour by simply resolving this matter in a quick fashion.

And there is something to sending her the $850 estimate and calling it a day, as that might be even quicker.

Zanza

You should ask for th $850 + the price for an alternate car while your car is fixed. That's reasonable and seems to be the norm here.

If you want to sell your car at some point in the future, you should fix it. If it is dented, it is quite likely to rust in that spot if you don't fix it.

Capetan Mihali

I plowed into some broad in Knoxville and destroyed both of our cars.  She was a law student too.   :lol:  Just thought you should know.   :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)