News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

"Mr. Byrd didn't get to choose his last meal"?  Did Brewer force him to go to Arby's before he chained him to the back of his truck?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 07:15:54 PM
"Mr. Byrd didn't get to choose his last meal"?  Did Brewer force him to go to Arby's before he chained him to the back of his truck?

"Sure, we'll take you to Popeye's.  Hang on."

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2011, 07:07:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2011, 07:01:39 PM
The problem with being against the death penalty is that the defendants aren't very likeable.  Even if there is reasonable doubt for the case they are being executed for, there is likely something in their background that makes them terribly unsympathetic.
so if you get arrested, we should cheer for you execution?  You don't strike me as very likeable, after all.  I don't like you, so I want you dead :)  It's a good argument as any for being pro-death penalty :)

I'm anti-death penalty :mellow:.  My point is that it's hard to get popular support for saving the life of many of these people because they aren't pleasant people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Viper: how do you justify life and very long-term imprisonment?  Is mere existence really that much more important?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2011, 05:52:42 PM
Quote from: dps on September 22, 2011, 05:48:50 PM
I'm sure that they could have been, but if the defense lawyers declined to do so, that's suggestive, isn't it?

Sure.  But I''m also having trouble with the state not supoenaing them.  Seems to me the prosecution would rather dismantle their recantations on the stand rather than just saying "these recantations are hokey."

No, if I'm the lawyer for the state, I've already got the testimony I wanted in open court.  No way I'd subpeona someone how might contradict that if I don't have to.

Or I guess more broadly what I'd like to know is what evidence the courts examined to determine the recantations were not credible.

Yeah, I agree with that.  I'd like to repeat that I'm not particularly convinced that what I read about the people who recanted not being willing to repeat it in court is accurate.

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
Georgia Executing Innocent men has cause Texas to up the ante. The condemned men will no longer get to choose their last meal.

The last meal and the ritual around the Death Penalty makes it all the more acceptible. But, shitting on the man about to die seems a bit over the top.

I can see imposing a cost limit or other restrictions, but this just seems petty.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 07:48:09 PM
Viper: how do you justify life and very long-term imprisonment?  Is mere existence really that much more important?

1 - It's cheaper than the death penalty
2 - It's crueler than the death penalty
3 - It allows for release if innocence can be proven
4 - It reduces social conflict around the issue of the death penalty where monstrous criminals somehow manage to become liberal heros

I'm actually for the death penalty, but I believe that it should be used only in special cases and should happen rarely enough that people can actually remember the names of the condemned. I think the cases of Death should be limited among other means by demanding a higher standard of proof.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

See, and that's the problem with people these days.  It's not enough to just execute the criminals, you have to dehumanize them as well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 08:03:22 PM
4 - It reduces social conflict around the issue of the death penalty where monstrous criminals somehow manage to become liberal heros
See, this is a good thing though, because it discredits liberal politics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2011, 07:09:17 PM
So in Texas, fast food is actually more expensive than a gourmet meal?  wow.   :unsure:

:huh:  What?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2011, 06:09:23 AM

For his last meal, Brewer requested a number of items, including chicken-fried steak and Bluebell ice cream, and then declined them all, saying he wasn't hungry, officials said.
Bluebell icecream?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 08:07:13 PM
See, this is a good thing though, because it discredits liberal politics.

Darn, I was going to say that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 22, 2011, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2011, 07:09:17 PM
So in Texas, fast food is actually more expensive than a gourmet meal?  wow.   :unsure:

:huh:  What?

Let me translate for you:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2011, 08:16:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2011, 06:09:23 AM

For his last meal, Brewer requested a number of items, including chicken-fried steak and Bluebell ice cream, and then declined them all, saying he wasn't hungry, officials said.
Bluebell icecream?

Must be a Southern thing.  It's essentially premium ice-cream that you can buy in a store.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2011, 07:18:39 PM

I'm anti-death penalty :mellow:.  My point is that it's hard to get popular support for saving the life of many of these people because they aren't pleasant people.

Can't really help it. It's like you're trying to make a perfectly rational point and a bunch of code pink wackos or somebody like that shows up to agree with you. You just wish they would die in a fire, but there they are with their big pink outfits sucking all the oxygen out of everything and making everyone associated with their cause look bad. I argue against these types more than I do against the actual people I disagree with. Annoys me to no end.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

2 - It's crueler than the death penalty

Don't agree.  Would you rather be imprisoned for thirty years or outright killed?  Maybe it's a matter of personal taste.
Kinemalogue