2 (10%)
I don't care
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2011, 01:32:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2011, 12:11:04 PM
If someone is interested in kidnapping, a lock on your car door is not going to stop them.

If someone is interested in kidnapping, nothing is going to stop them.  There has been a lot of publicity in this corner of the world about a little 3 year old boy that was abducted out of his bedroom.  Of course that led to massive publicity, and for reasons not yet made public they had a suspect right away and there were numerous appeals for him to return the child - which he actually did returning the child back to his bedroom one night.

But anyways, such cases of stranger child kidnapping are so incredibly rare, and I live in a really boring but utlra-safe suburban community, that I'm not terribly worried about it.

I was more worried about him waking up, realizing no one was nearby, and him screaming his head off. :(

Well, not leaving him in the car would certainly stop somone interested in snatching an unattended child.

But hey, whatever. If you are comfortable leaving the kid in the car while you run into the store, more power to you. I would never even consider it though, and I live in a pretty safe suburban area as well. Different strokes and all that.

Maybe it's just this job, but I think I have a very good sense of the risks of various criminal acts.  I'd be much more worried of someone smashing my window to take some loose change then I would be worried of them taking my kid.  I've seen dozens of such property-motivated cases, but have never, ever seen a stranger child abduction.

And I honestly only run into a store I know I can be in and out of in 1-2 minutes.  Again, more because I'm worried about baby Tim feeling left alone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Just leave some crayons and he can ease the pain of loneliness by doing up some counterfactual maps, just like his namesake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

I would consider leaving Martinus in a car during an Italian summer.  Preferably in the trunk.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2011, 01:42:32 PM
The article makes it sound like the actual incident (leaving the kid alone for a coupla minutes) was simply what brought the kid to the attention of the authorities, and the "abuse" was having a kid when you are so damn old.

If they are in fact so damn old that having the kid is a sort of abuse, really there is no reason to ever give the kid back - it isn't like being a drunk or something and promising to be sober. You can't *not* get older.  ;)

Well maybe they could find some younger relatives or something to take actual custody or something.  Not that they would get involved in the Vladimir Putin eternal life project or something.  Just putting up for adoption is pretty final.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 10:07:58 AM
Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago a work colleague of mine came into my office and announced, with a huge grin, that after months of trying artificial insemination, his wife is now pregnant.

I was like UHM TMI?  :yuk:

Would you have preferred it if they used the traditional method?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 02:37:43 PM
Well maybe they could find some younger relatives or something to take actual custody or something.  Not that they would get involved in the Vladimir Putin eternal life project or something.  Just putting up for adoption is pretty final.

How about they just leave the damn kid with her parents?  :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2011, 02:58:13 PM

They leave her in the car to roast. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

:frusty: You seem to be working really hard to misunderstand my posts.

Yes I agree they should leave the damn kid with her parents.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 03:01:40 PM

They leave her in the car to roast. :(

Knowing the Wops, they would make the kid delicious.

Roasted child w/ Parmesan.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 03:15:40 PM

:frusty: You seem to be working really hard to misunderstand my posts.

Yes I agree they should leave the damn kid with her parents.

:hug:

No, I just like you and know you'll be okay with my responses like that. :)

To be honest, this story is seriously bothering me. I can't imagine what those parents are going through after waiting so long to have a child of their own. The child is young, and while she'll have a hard time at first, she'll eventually be okay. The parents, on the other hand, may never recover. I know I wouldn't. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:25:44 PM
Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago a work colleague of mine came into my office and announced, with a huge grin, that after months of trying artificial insemination, his wife is now pregnant.

You've gone full Slargos with your schtick.  Do you realize that?

Really?

Would you feel comfortable if a coworker came to you and announced he just had a great anal with his boyfriend, followed by a blowjob in a shower?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 06:36:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:25:44 PM

You've gone full Slargos with your schtick.  Do you realize that?

Really?

Would you feel comfortable if a coworker came to you and announced he just had a great anal with his boyfriend, followed by a blowjob in a shower?

I'd fire him.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?