I don't know
2 (10%)
I don't care
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:47:21 AM
Are you retarded? How is this view "medieval"? Not everything you disagree with is "medieval". In fact, this seems like a very progressive/technocratic move - quite the opposite of the feudal/medieval stress on family ties.

Wow.

All power to the Nomenclatura eh?

"Progressive" is not a value statement. It's a factual statement.

Just like "medieval" for that matter.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 09:52:30 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2011, 09:39:17 AM
The judges ruled that librarian Gabriella De Ambrosis and her retired husband Luigi were driven by “a narcissistic need to have a child” and showed “indifference with regard to the child’s perspective.”

So the child would have preferred to have never been born? :huh:
well if it was never born it wouldn't have a preference either way :P

Kid shouldn't be taken away, but yes the parents are selfish.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:54:05 AM
That's how I feel about quite a few Languishites.

You wish you had never been born about a few Languishites?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

I support mandatory sterilization at age 40.  Eh, fuck it, make it age 12.

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on September 16, 2011, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2011, 09:51:55 AM
Medieval in terms of the idea that those in power have absolute control over what happens to the "serfs" they govern.

Then you are misusing the term and your definition has no basis in history.  How medieval.
:D

Martinus

Quote from: ulmont on September 16, 2011, 09:55:46 AM

I think all children should be taken away from their parents and taught by the wisemen. Preferably in some remote location I cannot see or hear.

The state should encourage non-procreational sexual activities and only people with a special permit should bear children.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on September 16, 2011, 09:55:46 AM

Wasn't this couple for all intents and purposes sterile before fertility treatments?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago a work colleague of mine came into my office and announced, with a huge grin, that after months of trying artificial insemination, his wife is now pregnant.

I was like UHM TMI?  :yuk:

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:57:56 AM

I think all children should be taken away from their parents and taught by the wisemen. Preferably in some remote location I cannot see or hear.

Grallon is wondering where he can sign up :P

obvious yes, but someone was going to say it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Grey Fox

Meri, have you been taking classes on how to sound provincial by master teacher Tyr?

They are too old to have been helped to have a child but the deed is done, too late now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2011, 10:17:51 AM
Meri, have you been taking classes on how to sound provincial by master teacher Tyr?

They are too old to have been helped to have a child but the deed is done, too late now.

I agree that the doctor who allowed this to happen was very wrong to help them. However, to take a child away from his/her parents is horrorific unless the parents have done something heinous. Simply giving birth at an older age does not, in my opinion, fall into that category.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2011, 10:17:51 AM

Well I think the state should have a better reason to start forcing people to give up their kids besides that what they did sounds like a really bad idea.  People should be allowed to make bad decisions, and unless there is some evidence the kid is suffering (as opposed to might maybe suffer) the court should let well enough alone.

But that is our values.  Italy is different and maybe over there this sort of thing is expected.  In which case this couple should have known better.

On the other hand this is the 21st century and women in their 40s and 50s are having kids now.  In fact they almost sorta have to considering the problems kids can pose in advancing your career.  Considerations for career are not necessarily selfish and hey I thought reproductive rights were some sort of super feminist issue or whatever.  It does strike me as a tad backwards and old fashioned to think an older couple having a kid is outrageous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 10:40:59 AM
But that is our values.  Italy is different and maybe over there this sort of thing is expected.  In which case this couple should have known better.

:mellow:

You've got to be kidding me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:55:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:47:21 AM
Are you retarded? How is this view "medieval"? Not everything you disagree with is "medieval". In fact, this seems like a very progressive/technocratic move - quite the opposite of the feudal/medieval stress on family ties.

Wow.

All power to the Nomenclatura eh?

"Progressive" is not a value statement. It's a factual statement.

Counterfactual in this case, but hey. 

The best adjective in this case is neither "medieval" or "progressive", it's probably "presumptive".  Though other adjectives would fit, too, such as "overbearing", "illogical", or just plain "stupid".  "Tyrannical" could probably fit too, but that's a bit of a loaded term.