10 (50%)
I don't know
2 (10%)
I don't care
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2011, 12:11:04 PM
If someone is interested in kidnapping, a lock on your car door is not going to stop them.

If someone is interested in kidnapping, nothing is going to stop them.  There has been a lot of publicity in this corner of the world about a little 3 year old boy that was abducted out of his bedroom.  Of course that led to massive publicity, and for reasons not yet made public they had a suspect right away and there were numerous appeals for him to return the child - which he actually did returning the child back to his bedroom one night.

But anyways, such cases of stranger child kidnapping are so incredibly rare, and I live in a really boring but utlra-safe suburban community, that I'm not terribly worried about it.

I was more worried about him waking up, realizing no one was nearby, and him screaming his head off. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

They shouldn't have been allowed IVF in my view, but now they've had it having two parents is generally better than going into the care system.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 09:43:59 AM
Well they better come and apprehend my kid because I've left him alone in the car for a few minutes before.

This is Italy. Leaving a young child in the summer sun can easily kill him.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 11:50:44 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2011, 11:42:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 09:44:38 AM
Well they better come and apprehend my kid because I've left him alone in the car for a few minutes before.

Well right are we talking 5 minutes or like 20 minutes?

Well... I've left him in there a couple of times for lengthy periods when he was sleeping (and badly needed to sleep), but I was always so nervous I'd run out and check on him every 5 minutes (and he was in our own driveway), but mostly I was thinking of running into a store quickly for 2 minutes when I know the baby'd much prefer to just stay there playing with his toys than to be unbuckled dragged into the store, then buckled up again.

Wow. I would never do that. Would be terrified someone would come along and help themselves to my kid.

I don't know about upstate new york, but in Alberta our car doors have locks.

If someone is interested in kidnapping, a lock on your car door is not going to stop them.

Small town mentality meet big city fearmongering.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on September 16, 2011, 12:39:04 PM

This is Italy. Leaving a young child in the summer sun can easily kill him.

Well it depends on when and where, obviously.  There are plenty of days in Canada where you could kill a child as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 12:41:58 PM
There are plenty of days in Canada where you could kill a child as well.

Wow. Just wow. I mean, I dislike children, but even I think such "holidays" are a bit too extreme. Mindboggling.  :wacko:

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 12:52:58 PM
Wow. Just wow. I mean, I dislike children, but even I think such "holidays" are a bit too extreme. Mindboggling.  :wacko:
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 10:07:58 AM
Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago a work colleague of mine came into my office and announced, with a huge grin, that after months of trying artificial insemination, his wife is now pregnant.

I was like UHM TMI?  :yuk:

You've gone full Slargos with your schtick.  Do you realize that?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

That was funny, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:25:44 PM
Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago a work colleague of mine came into my office and announced, with a huge grin, that after months of trying artificial insemination, his wife is now pregnant.

I'm not sure I'd want to hear about someone's medical procedures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 12:21:21 PM

If someone is interested in kidnapping, nothing is going to stop them.  There has been a lot of publicity in this corner of the world about a little 3 year old boy that was abducted out of his bedroom.  Of course that led to massive publicity, and for reasons not yet made public they had a suspect right away and there were numerous appeals for him to return the child - which he actually did returning the child back to his bedroom one night.

But anyways, such cases of stranger child kidnapping are so incredibly rare, and I live in a really boring but utlra-safe suburban community, that I'm not terribly worried about it.

I was more worried about him waking up, realizing no one was nearby, and him screaming his head off. :(

Well, not leaving him in the car would certainly stop somone interested in snatching an unattended child.

But hey, whatever. If you are comfortable leaving the kid in the car while you run into the store, more power to you. I would never even consider it though, and I live in a pretty safe suburban area as well. Different strokes and all that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 12:13:51 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2011, 12:10:36 PM
Lots of kids have been in effect raised by their grandparents due to circumstances. I know of once case where grandparents are raising a daughter's kid because the daughter is incapable and the father is unknown.

I dunno why social services ought to get involved in such cases, other than actual neglect or abuse.

I think the court seems to think the very fact this older couple did this is some sort of abuse.  Though putting it up for adoption is pretty radical because in most abuse cases they do not do that immediately right?  They go into Foster care for a bit and the parents get a chance to get their kid back.

The article makes it sound like the actual incident (leaving the kid alone for a coupla minutes) was simply what brought the kid to the attention of the authorities, and the "abuse" was having a kid when you are so damn old.

If they are in fact so damn old that having the kid is a sort of abuse, really there is no reason to ever give the kid back - it isn't like being a drunk or something and promising to be sober. You can't *not* get older.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 01:27:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:25:44 PM

I'm not sure I'd want to hear about someone's medical procedures.

It's just a little semen.

I might ask him if he were comfortable with the possibility of transmitting his malfunct reproductive system to any male heirs, though.
Kinemalogue