Obama wanted to dissolve Citibank. Geithner ignored him.

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 15, 2011, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 06:09:50 PM
It wasn't just the CIA that was ordered to find "something, anything!"   <_<
That took effect immediately after the inauguration, Feb 2001, IIRC.

Anyway, that claim is neither inflammatory nor incorrect - it did happen, whether people care to believe it or not.

I assume you're talking about the Clarke situation room story?  Susskind wrote about something else.

AnchorClanker

Again, I think that's a different incident as well.  Clarke talked about the Nov 2000 - Jan 2001 interim briefings, and the utter lack of interest in UBL as they were focused on Iraq. 

I'm talking about the orders that came down AFTER the handover, when the Bush Administration was actually in power.

Which other incident was Susskind describing?  Spring 2001 was hot and heavy for the government telling the intelligence community to play ball with the Iraq brief, or else.  There was a reason I was (and remain) thoroughly disgusted with those responsible for that nonsense.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

I can't remember the time frame.  I do know it was before Whatshisface got shitcanned at the CIA, because the smoking gun story had him coming back to Langley with a memo which had a White House letterhead.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2011, 06:17:49 PM
I can't remember the time frame.  I do know it was before Whatshisface got shitcanned at the CIA, because the smoking gun story had him coming back to Langley with a memo which had a White House letterhead.

Hmmm.  I might have to dig this up and see what the dilly was.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr