I don't know
2 (10%)
I don't care
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

dps

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2011, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 10:40:59 AM
But that is our values.  Italy is different and maybe over there this sort of thing is expected.  In which case this couple should have known better.

:mellow:

You've got to be kidding me.

Natural result of cultural relativism.

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2011, 11:19:50 AM
But that is our values.  Italy is different and maybe over there this sort of thing is expected.  In which case this couple should have known better.

I don't think it is cultural relativism to point out that if you don't want to get fucked over, don't do things that your society disapproves of.  That doesn't make a society's values any less reprehensible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:57:56 AM
I think all children should be taken away from their parents and taught by the wisemen. Preferably in some remote location I cannot see or hear.
That's the Russian in you talking.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 11:25:08 AM
Quote from: dps on September 16, 2011, 11:19:50 AM

I don't think it is cultural relativism to point out that if you don't want to get fucked over, don't do things that your society disapproves of.  That doesn't make a society's values any less reprehensible.

Fair enough, but in that case Valmy is assuming that there is a strong cultural taboo in Italy against older parents, or some established legal precedent.  That may be the case, but it's purely speculative--there's nothing in the article to support that idea, unless I missed something.  Which I might have--I just skimmed it.

HVC

old people should not have sex and thus should not have children. it's that simple :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 09:44:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 09:43:59 AM
Well they better come and apprehend my kid because I've left him alone in the car for a few minutes before.

Well right are we talking 5 minutes or like 20 minutes?

Well... I've left him in there a couple of times for lengthy periods when he was sleeping (and badly needed to sleep), but I was always so nervous I'd run out and check on him every 5 minutes (and he was in our own driveway), but mostly I was thinking of running into a store quickly for 2 minutes when I know the baby'd much prefer to just stay there playing with his toys than to be unbuckled dragged into the store, then buckled up again.

Wow. I would never do that. Would be terrified someone would come along and help themselves to my kid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2011, 11:42:25 AM
Wow. I would never do that. Would be terrified someone would come along and help themselves to my kid.
I think there's less of a fear-based society up here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2011, 11:38:31 AM
Fair enough, but in that case Valmy is assuming that there is a strong cultural taboo in Italy against older parents, or some established legal precedent.  That may be the case, but it's purely speculative--there's nothing in the article to support that idea, unless I missed something.  Which I might have--I just skimmed it.

True, I think he may be making unwarranted assumptions although I wouldn't be surprised if Italy is against artificial insemination as being monstrous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I was saying they should have expected it, if indeed, that is normal.  Not that I think this is awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Well they better come and apprehend my kid because I've left him alone in the car for a few minutes before.

Well... I've left him in there a couple of times for lengthy periods when he was sleeping (and badly needed to sleep), but I was always so nervous I'd run out and check on him every 5 minutes (and he was in our own driveway), but mostly I was thinking of running into a store quickly for 2 minutes when I know the baby'd much prefer to just stay there playing with his toys than to be unbuckled dragged into the store, then buckled up again.

I don't know about upstate new york, but in Alberta our car doors have locks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 16, 2011, 11:38:31 AM

Hence why I said maybe.  I was speculating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 11:25:08 AM

Bingo.

If you get caught stealing in Saudi Arabia you should expect to get your hand chopped off.

Malthus

Lots of kids have been in effect raised by their grandparents due to circumstances. I know of once case where grandparents are raising a daughter's kid because the daughter is incapable and the father is unknown.

I dunno why social services ought to get involved in such cases, other than actual neglect or abuse.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 11:50:44 AM

I don't know about upstate new york, but in Alberta our car doors have locks.

If someone is interested in kidnapping, a lock on your car door is not going to stop them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2011, 12:10:36 PM
Lots of kids have been in effect raised by their grandparents due to circumstances. I know of once case where grandparents are raising a daughter's kid because the daughter is incapable and the father is unknown.

I dunno why social services ought to get involved in such cases, other than actual neglect or abuse.

I think the court seems to think the very fact this older couple did this is some sort of abuse.  Though putting it up for adoption is pretty radical because in most abuse cases they do not do that immediately right?  They go into Foster care for a bit and the parents get a chance to get their kid back.