I don't know
2 (10%)
I don't care
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2011, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 20, 2011, 09:09:11 AM
I wonder if the court had more information than a six sentence article that doesn't even tell you what a "recommendation" by the court means.

The court recommendation was followed with "and the child was to be taken away from the parents." The only other information I've been able to find said that additional "proof" that they were incapable of parenting the child was that the child had been heard crying several times by neighbors.

I do understand that the media is often irresponsible in these types of cases, but I've yet to find a single one that shows me that the parents were abusive or neglectful of the child. Maybe if someone could translate some Italian articles on the subject we might get more information?

Given the Italian laws against "older parenting" like limiting artificial insemination to those younger than 43 and not allowing those older than 45 to adopt, I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find that the only real reason for taking the child is simply that the parents have been deemed "too old".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8768927/Italian-parents-too-old-and-selfish-to-look-after-child.html

QuoteThe case first came to light last year when the couple allegedly left the baby, then aged just one month, unattended in a car for 40 minutes outside their home in the town of Mirabello in Piedmont, of which Turin is the regional capital.

Mr De Ambrosis said he was unloading some shopping from his car and never let the child out of his sight.

On another occasion neighbours reported that the couple left the baby, crying and alone, in a car at 10pm one night in an apparent attempt to make her go to sleep.

QuoteThe couple were subjected to tests by psychologists and psychiatrists, who found that Mrs De Ambrosis had failed to establish an emotional bond with her baby and her husband had not shown enough concern for the child's wellbeing. 

QuoteThey had resorted to artificial insemination after two applications to adopt a child were turned down on the basis that they were too old.

QuoteIn a clarifying statement released on Friday, the court said that the ruling was based primarily on the fact that the couple had "abandoned" the baby on numerous occasions, endangering her physical and mental health.

The child has been looked after for the last month by a foster family.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2011, 10:42:22 AM

Given the Italian laws against "older parenting" like limiting artificial insemination to those younger than 43 and not allowing those older than 45 to adopt, I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find that the only real reason for taking the child is simply that the parents have been deemed "too old".

I suspect that your understanding of "Italian laws against older parenting" is cursory enough that you should probably not be too quick to NOT be the "least bit surprised" by any conclusions drawn based on that understanding combined with rather dubious journalism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Agreed on the cursory knowledge, but nonetheless, I disagree with the laws that I do know about. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2011, 09:57:56 AM
Quote from: ulmont on September 16, 2011, 09:55:46 AM
I support mandatory sterilization at age 40.  Eh, fuck it, make it age 12.

I think all children should be taken away from their parents and taught by the wisemen. Preferably in some remote location I cannot see or hear.

The state should encourage non-procreational sexual activities and only people with a special permit should bear children.

Dig it.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive