Britain burns - Chavs ruin civilization

Started by Tamas, August 07, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Worth going to the Getty Image site to see some of the pictures:

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 08: Local residents flee Clarence Road in Hackney on August 8, 2011 in London, England.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=120817027&EditorialProduct=News
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on August 08, 2011, 04:59:21 PM
"Good old fashioned" crime prevention got us the riots of the 1980s, something the crush'em law 'n' order crowd seem to forget.

This is essentially a dispersed series of hit and run lootings, setting alight to the odd building which provides a powerful visual point long after the rioters have been cleared.

I can't help but feel a bit blase about all this, but maybe that's because the last riot I lived through turned into a pogrom and saw the fall of a dictator.

Good job no one, other than Brain, is calling for that in this thread.

Razgovory

What they need is armed Korean storekeepers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 04:58:34 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2011, 04:49:56 PM
In the face of crime first you hit hard and crush it, then later you can get all cuddly if you want. That's basic psychology.
No.  Not at all.

But if simple platitudes about how easy fighting crime is makes you happy, then I don't want to take that away from you. :hug:
I think I'm willing to trust the Brain over you when it comes to crime prevention.  The murder rate in Edmonton has exploded since you got on the job.  :mad:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2011, 05:03:49 PM
The mobs seem to be avoiding the minority shops where they might expect to be shot in favour of the corporate stores who have insurance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2011, 05:03:49 PM

:yes:

I loved the footage from the LA riots when the Koreans manned the roofs and opened fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2011, 05:03:53 PM
In the face of crime first you hit hard and crush it, then later you can get all cuddly if you want. That's basic psychology.
No.  Not at all.

But if simple platitudes about how easy fighting crime is makes you happy, then I don't want to take that away from you. :hug:
I think I'm willing to trust the Brain over you when it comes to crime prevention.  The murder rate in Edmonton has exploded since you got on the job.  :mad:

It appears I came to Edmonton just in time.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 05:11:43 PM
No.  Not at all.
I doubt that the legal system will be very useful in fighting crime, unless you're Judge Dredd.

Richard Hakluyt

I think Warspite has a good point. There are some rather good fires and a lot of looting, but so far no deaths. I'm not at all sure that the adoption of Eastern European style policing would help matters in the long run.

I would also like to congratulate Marty that Warsaw, for the first time in several centuries, may be a better place to be than London right now, for a day or two at least  :P

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 04:17:39 PM
After two decades of being under attack for being racist, cruel, brutal and inhuman they have tried to satisfy the demands of the unsatisfiable. The "community" seems to have immediately jumped to the conclusion of murder and the mere presence of police on the streets that they are supposed to keep safe is seen as a provocation.

I'm not referring to the chaos and looting related to the rioting; that is the local yobs just stealing shit cause they can get away with it. I referring to the issue that provoked the riots. A notorious criminal pulls a gun on the police, gets shot. The population then revolts against the insult of the police being on the streets itself.

Incredibly, you have preempted even the Metropolitan Police's own report into the incident. Bravo. Who's your inside source at Scotland Yard?

A shame they a) didn't tell you about the peaceful protest against the Police's handling of the killing on Friday and b) the fact that the only weapon found was in a sock, and was therefore 'not pulled'. His death wasn't in fact even the direct trigger for the rioting in Tottenham.

But hey, don't let the fact that no one actually knows yet what happened in the incident stop you from railing against "the community" about which you know nothing.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on August 08, 2011, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 08, 2011, 03:31:53 PM
Time for an afternoon and evening capital wide curfew to be imposed upon all 16year olds and younger ? :unsure:
Yes, just discussing that with my dad. Rubber bullets and water cannons wouldn't hurt either.

It's official I'm old and cranky, I 'wrote' to the Prime Minister about this curfew.   :bowler:

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2011, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 05:11:43 PM
No.  Not at all.
I doubt that the legal system will be very useful in fighting crime, unless you're Judge Dredd.

The legal system is an essential part of fighting crime - but only in the medium to long term.

It takes months to see a file through to its ultimate disposition.  Obviously in the midst of a murder spree, or rioting / looting, there's little your friendly neighborhood Crown Counsel can do.

But in terms of helping to rehabilitate some in order that they not commit further crimes, giving deterrence to others to scare them from committing more crimes, and in terms of locking up dangerous offenders so they can't commit more crimes, we're an essential part of the process.   :cool:

Siege

Quote from: Brazen on August 07, 2011, 03:52:46 PM
I'm rather worried for my car and flat as they're all coming down the footpath through our car park between Enfield Town where the riot cops on their way to the A10 where they're attacking Cineworld and Krispy Kreme. Classy.

Load your guns and shoot anybody that touches your car. Consider getting together with your neighbours and barricading your street.
As an alternative, find some nice urban hide and snipe any long range targets of oportunity the rioters might offer you.
Terrorize the terrorizers, don't let come near your block without paying the price.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 05:21:33 PM
The legal system is an essential part of fighting crime - but only in the medium to long term.

It takes months to see a file through to its ultimate disposition.  Obviously in the midst of a murder spree, or rioting / looting, there's little your friendly neighborhood Crown Counsel can do.

But in terms of helping to rehabilitate some in order that they not commit further crimes, giving deterrence to others to scare them from committing more crimes, and in terms of locking up dangerous offenders so they can't commit more crimes, we're an essential part of the process.   :cool:
It's the law of the jungle out there.  Since the province can't protect us, it's the duty of all citizens to carry weapons at all times.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2011, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 05:21:33 PM

It's the law of the jungle out there.  Since the province can't protect us, it's the duty of all citizens to carry weapons at all times.

Stop listening to militia group podcasts, Neil. :rolleyes: