Taliban shoots down Chinook helicopter, killing 31 US soldiers

Started by Kleves, August 06, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Deadliest incident during the entire war. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44043847/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

QuoteKABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO helicopter crashed in Afghanistan killing 31 U.S. special-forces troops and 7 Afghan commandos, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Saturday. It was easily the dealiest incident for foreign troops in 10 years of war.

A brief statement from the presidential palace said the helicopter had crashed in central Wardak province, an area west of Kabul. The volatile region is known for its strong Taliban presence.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai "shared his deep sorrow and sadness" with U.S. counterpart Barack Obama and the families of the U.S. and Afghan victims, the statement said.

The Taliban claimed to have shot down the troop-carrying Chinook helicopter during a firefight. The Islamist group also said in a statement that eight insurgents had been killed in the battle.

NBC News quoted a Taliban spokesman as claiming the U.S. troops were attacking a compound that was housing militants when the aircraft was brought down. However, the Taliban has been known to make exaggerated claims in the past.

A senior Obama administration official told The Associated Press that the aircraft had apparently been shot down by insurgents. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the crash is still being investigated.

'Enemy activity in the area'
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the overnight incident and said there "was enemy activity in the area." But it said it was still investigating the cause. The alliance was conducting a recovery operation at the site, it said, without releasing details or a casualty figure.

"We are aware of an incident involving a helicopter in eastern Afghanistan," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Justin Brockhoff, a NATO spokesman. "We are in the process of accessing the facts."

The helicopter was a twin-rotor Chinook, which are used for transport, said an official at NATO headquarters in Brussels, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the press.

A military official told The New York Times that the Chinook helicopter had been shot down by insurgents. The paper said the official spoke on condition of anonymity because the crash was still being investigated.

The helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, the official reportedly told the Times.

Gen. Abdul Qayoom Baqizoy, police chief of Wardak, told the Times that the joint NATO-Afghan operation began around 1 a.m. Saturday with an attack on a Taliban compound in the village of Jaw-e-mekh Zareen.

He said the resulting firefight lasted at least two hours.

"It was at the end of the operation that one of the NATO helicopters crashed," he said. "We don't know yet the cause of the crash and we don't know how many NATO soldiers were on board," he told the Times.

The majority of foreign troops in Wardak, which comes under ISAF's eastern regional command, are American.

Citing a U.S. military official, ABC News reported that the victims included 25 Navy SEALs.

The Washington Post reported that a second coalition helicopter made a "precautionary landing" Saturday in Afghanistan's Khost province. Brockhoff, the NATO spokesman, said the helicopter sustained minor damage and no injuries were reported. He rejected Taliban claims that the second aircraft had been shot down.

Aircraft crashes are relatively frequent in Afghanistan, where insecurity and difficult terrain make air travel essential for coalition forces transporting troops and equipment.

There have been at least 17 coalition and Afghan aircraft crashes in Afghanistan this year. Most of the crashes are attributed to pilot errors, weather conditions or mechanical failures. However, the coalition has confirmed that at least one CH-47F Chinook helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade on July 25, injuring two crewmembers.

Growing unease
The incident comes only two weeks after the start of a gradual process of handing security responsibility from foreign forces to Afghan troops and police, and at a time of growing unease about the increasingly unpopular and costly war.

That process is due to end with all foreign combat troops leaving Afghanistan by the end of 2014, but some U.S. lawmakers have already questioned whether that handover is fast enough.

Interactive: The cost of war (on this page)
The crash was by far the worst incident of the war for foreign troops and easily surpassed the worst incidents of battlefield losses.

In April 2005, another CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed, killing 15 U.S. servicemen and three civilian contractors. Another Chinook crash in June the same year killed 17 U.S. troops.

U.S. and other NATO commanders have claimed success in reversing the momentum of a growing insurgency in the Taliban heartland in the south, although insurgents have shown a worrying ability to adapt
their tactics and mount major attacks in other areas.

Video: Mullen: 'We're moving in the right direction' in Afghanistan
Those gains, however, have come at a price, with 711 foreign troops killed in Afghanistan in 2010, easily the deadliest year of the war for all concerned since the Taliban were toppled by U.S.-backed foreign troops in late 2001.

The crash in Wardak means that at least 374 foreign troops have been killed so far in 2011, more than two-thirds of them American, according to independent monitor www.icasualties.com and figures kept by Reuters.

Despite the alarming military toll, ordinary Afghan civilians have continued to bear the brunt of the war, with civilian casualties also hitting record levels in the first six months of this year, according to U.N. figures.

Earlier on Saturday, Afghan police said a NATO airstrike killed eight civilians in southern Helmand province on Friday.

ISAF confirmed there had been an airstrike in Helmand's Nad Ali district and said it was investigating whether civilians had been present at the time.

Civilian casualties caused by foreign troops hunting Taliban fighters and other insurgents have long been a major source of friction between Kabul and its Western backers.

Nad Ali district police chief Shidi Khan said the airstrike was called in after insurgents attacked ISAF troops in the area.

Here's something I've always wondered about: how is it that we get into major, hours-long firefights that don't end with most of the Taliban fighters dead? Are we too afraid of civilian casualties?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Oh, 7 Afghans also died in the crash. But, you know, who cares.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Oh, damn.

I think the Afghanis run away and are hard to find.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on August 06, 2011, 08:37:36 AM
Oh, 7 Afghans also died in the crash. But, you know, who cares.

No shit.  20 US Navy Seals and their dog are substantially more important than a Michigan Stadium full of Afghanis.

Kleves

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Ever since I heard it was SEALs, I wondered whether it was SEAL Team 6, and whether they were on a mission to kill someone important.  I guess we'll never really know.

DGuller

Although sources say that none of those killed were from bin Laden raid, so at least the movie is safe.

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2011, 12:38:04 PM
Although sources say that none of those killed were from bin Laden raid, so at least the movie is safe.

Whew, that's a relief.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2011, 12:38:04 PM

You know, if it was the guys who did the Bin Laden raid they military would deny it.  No way are they going to let out the real names of the men who were part of that op even if dead.  Some asshole might track down family members and kill them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

I tend to believe what the military say about the men involved, not that it particularly matters as 30 dead soldiers are still 30 dead individuals.

But I can't help but wonder, was the unit a target for a revenge operation ? Given how leaking Afghan intelligence/military are and how corrupt the Karzai administration is, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Taliban could be getting semi-regular updates about what this SEAL unit was up to; perhaps they were led into an ambush by a taliban agent ?   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on August 06, 2011, 08:15:16 PM
But I can't help but wonder, was the unit a target for a revenge operation ? Given how leaking Afghan intelligence/military are and how corrupt the Karzai administration is, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Taliban could be getting semi-regular updates about what this SEAL unit was up to; perhaps they were led into an ambush by a taliban agent ?

Stop reading so much Tom Clancy.

It was a dirt farmer with a lucky shot.  That RPG was probably sitting in a goat hutch for 6 years waiting for its chance to be a peacock.

The Brain

I tend to believe what the military say about the men involved, not that it particularly matters as 30 dead soldiers are still 30 dead individuals.

Unlikely for a number of reasons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2011, 09:45:59 PM

Stop reading so much Tom Clancy.

It was a dirt farmer with a lucky shot.  That RPG was probably sitting in a goat hutch for 6 years waiting for its chance to be a peacock.

Yeah, I mean an RPG-7 or what ever knockoff they happen to have isn't really a weapon designed to take down aircraft.  If it hits a helicopter it'll probably knock it down (if the warhead goes off), but a helicopter in mid flight is a difficult target to hit.  I've heard that sometimes people set the fuses on RPG-7 to explode in mid-air like a Flak shell, but I imagine it would still be difficult to hit something with that.  I don't think there are proximity fuses for those warheads.